2nd Auto SCT

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Eva 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

piatkaz
    Participant

Hi
    I had my second auto in Jan this year my first auto was in 08 which I didnt get a complete remission only a plateau and got 18 months remission from this.The second one in Jan 2011 I got a complete remission with the use of velcade, I've been told I will get only approx half the 18 months I got with the first one does anyone know of anyone who has got the same or more than thier first one, or is this the norm or is it different if you get a complete remission compared to a plateau
    Thanks Ian

brocho
    Participant

Hi Ian I was told that any remission after the first one is always shorter. I dont think it makes any difference if you have complete or partial remission. There was a trial going on last year,sorry cant remember what it was called, to look at using velcade before the sct in the hope of getting a longer second remission.I will try and remember to ask in clinic tomorrow love Bridget

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Ian, glad to hear you are still bombing along. In general discussion with my Consultant he expressed the opinion that the effects of treatment get weaker as time goes on. This would in fact fit the pattern you have been given.

Kindest regards

David

Gaye
    Participant

Dear Ian – I had partial remission first time round which lasted 18 months. I was told I would get half the time for the second which happened.I know of only 1 person who had remission from his second SCT which lasted years longer than his first, but from which he has since relapsed. Definitely an exception to the rule.

It seems the info you were given was round about right.

Good luck Ian. Gaye

Eva
    Participant

Dear Ian,
    Eva Here. I've read about the 'diminishing benefits'principle many times so there must be some truth in it.
    However, I did find a study once which unfortunately I didn't make a note of, which gave stats that were a bit more encouraging. They suggested that more people have diminishing returns, some get the same result, and that there is a reasonably sized subgroup that does even a bit better. I have no idea whether this study was valid.
    Eva

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2nd Auto SCT’ is closed to new replies.