A question………difficuties with leg movementsL

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Pilgrim 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

peggy
    Participant

Long before I mm diagnosis I started experiencing problems with leg movement. I used to enjoy going for rambles in the country but had difficulty getting over stiles.. It got to the stage that I had to physically lift my leg byputting my hands under/behind my knee and lift over.I was referred to a neurologist but he could find no explanation.
    Then it was discovered that I had seious kidneyimpairment, but I was informd that this would not be the cause of my leg problems.Next came the mm diagnosis. Again, I was told that it was not related.
    At my most recent neurology appt. the consultant said it may be mm related (I think cos he could think of no other/alternative reason).
    Just curious… anyone else had this? Academic really cos I cannot walk far enough for a ramble now.
    Also though I can walk ie put one leg i front of the other I am not able to jump, that is to lift both fee similtaneously off the ground……just can,t work out how to do it.
    Put in mind of this by all you walkers/Manchester marathon/Manchester 10km….put me to shame

Best wishes to all,, Peggy

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Peggy,

I developed Peripheral Neuropathy following my CDT (Cyclophosphamide, Dexamethasone and Thalidomide) frontline treatment, exacerbated by my Velcade treatment. It still remains with me although, like my Tinnitus, I manage to blank it out for most of the time. But I too have difficulty lifting my legs… I know I have extensive bone marrow loss in my left femur but my right leg is just as bad, if not worse. I find stepping up difficult… and putting on trousers has become an artform without Janet's patient assistance. I always try to stay independent when dressing but I do need Janet's help when we have limited time, especially on the ere so slow 'sockputtingon' activity.:-S

I don't know if my problem, like yours, is MM related… be it PN or otherwise… but I have an appointment next week with an orthopaedic consultant regarding two current small but perfectly formed fractures in my shoulder and shoulder blade… and I will broach the subject then.:-)

Dai.

PS – I can walk approximately 200 yards in a straight line before seizing up but I have fond memories of my rambling and walking days… especially the views from Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Helvelyn… but my most favourite was Kinder Scout, especially the Downfall. 😎

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Peggy, I have something similar, I am not sure when it started, although not as bad as you. My left leg tends to go out to the left slightly and my right does not come all the way forward when walking. This only happens on odd occasions but it does make me very unsteady some times. I had thought of using a walking stick but at the moment I just hang on to the wife 😀

KIndest regards – vasbyte

David

peggy
    Participant

Ah ,Kinder Scout Downfall. I have memories of climbing up the frozen waterfall at full moon with ice axe and crampons….my only true ice climb, Happy days,

Peggy

Pilgrim
    Participant

My balance isn't too good, though ironically the faster I walk the better I feel, but other people on the pavement need to watch out. For that reason I carry a walking stick, though I don't need it to walk. It acts as a warning sign that I don't steer very well.

My right leg appears to have a mind of its own at times, rather like a defective supermarket trolley. When it first started I noticed that I wasn't lifting the foot off the floor much as I kept removing the soles of shoes by tripping up.

I am most affected when I stand up after lying or sitting down for any length of time – then I appear drunk as I have no balance at all.

Luckily I spend time with my 90 year old mother and I still have more mobility than her and when she says she needs a rest I don't have to admit that I need one too.

Less than ten years ago I was in the Himalayas. How time changes things. Then I was supremely fit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘A question………difficuties with leg movementsL’ is closed to new replies.