About time I joined the Forum !!!!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

petesilver
    Participant

Hello everyone
    I thought it was about time I joined this Forum instead of just reading the comment but perhaps join in as well.
    I was diagnosed with MM in 2004 when I was 64, had all the usual problems like broken femur and couple of vertabra collapsed a spine brace,stem cell transplant which did not last very long, but for all that I am still quite active and doing most things I want to as long as I am careful.
    But the best news of all is I am three years into remission after a long course of Velcade, I know it a bit worrying every time its my clinic appointment but long may this last:-)
    I won't bore you with any other gory details except to say you have to have a positive outlook I know that can be difficult at times when you feel pretty low….I suppose I am lucky to have a wonderful wife who has helped me through the difficult times.
    Regards
    Peter

Perkymite
    Participant

Hallo Peter and welcome. It is really nice to hear from people like yourself, it gives us all so much hope and helps to cement our postive vibes in place:-D

kindest regards – vasbyte

David

jmsmyth
    Participant

Welcome Peter you are in the right place for advice, support and friendship. I so agree with David, it was great reading your post – light at the end if the tunnel – hope.

Love Jean

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Peter,

Good to meet you.

I find the duration of your Velcade remission most interesting. 3 years seems a long time… (so I appreciate your collywobbles at each clinic meeting). ๐Ÿ™‚ I achieved CR (0) after 5 Cycles and I am going on to complete the 8 Cycles (Just finished 6). ๐Ÿ˜Ž

My consultant was looking at 6 to 12 months remission (dependant on results) at the start of treatment. I don't know how they gauge remission length (I read 6 to 18 months with a 12 month median somewhere on the Velcade site) it is one part of the science which will always be inexact I suppose. ๐Ÿ˜›

Still, you are living proof that medians can be stretched… good luck to you and long may your remission continue. ๐Ÿ˜€

Dai.

Dizzyliz
    Participant

Hello Peter and welcome,

I'm a carer to my hubby kev who got the news yesterday he's in remission after having sct 6months ago, it's a year ago oct: 2010
    He was diagnosed. I tell him most of the news on this forum as he is not a man to sit and write so I do the reading and pass on the many interesting and helpful posts and yours is great to hear and long may it continue!
    Although kev as not gone through the experience of velcade I do read up all the treatments you encounter on this MM journey and it looks like its working for you, 3 years is wonderful and long may it continue Peter!

Love liz & kev xx

BADGER
    Participant

hello Peter

glad you joined the group it was very encouraging to hear your news
    I too get very nervous every time I go to clinic its like having the sword of damaclese hanging over my head I am due to go tomorrow, I was diagnosed in Jan 2009:-(

Keep posting and keep well
    Regards Jo;-)

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Jo

Good luck for tomorrow. Will be thinking of you with everything crossed.

Love Jean xx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Pete welcome to our lovely band of people Great news about your remission fantastic length of time. I agree a positive attitude helps a lot and having the support of people who understand too , so you have definitely come to the right place Best wishes to you and your wife Bridget

BADGER
    Participant

thank you Jean I will let you know how I get on
    Love Jo

tom
    Participant

Hi Peter
    Great news Pete and long may that continue ๐Ÿ˜€ and a warm welcome to the site ๐Ÿ™‚

And Jo all the best to you for tomozz ((((Hugs)))

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

CarolBradley1
    Participant

Hello Peter

Just wanted to say Welcome to you although Iยดm sorry we are all meeting like this.
    You and you super wife sound to have worked out how to cope with this horrid illness really well and your good lady obviously takes very good care of you. What would we do without our lovely helpers? – be pretty miserable I think.

Best wishes
    Carol xxxx

Gill
    Participant

Welcome from me too Peter. Although like everyone I am sorry to see you on this site, but your story does give a great deal of hope. If my sums add up you have had this horrid mm for 7 years and you are still, not just amongst the living but among the get up and carry on brigade.

Long may it continue for you

Gill x

eve
    Participant

Hello Peter
    Welcome to the site I hope you enjoy your your journey here,finding out new information and any help you need or can give:-)
    How do you rate Velcade,how long were you on it,and did you have any side effects?????
    Where you on trials? and what dosage did you have.It sounds so interesting.
    I would be grateful for any info as my husband has just started Velcade:-(
    Regards Eve

teds31
    Participant

Hi Peter and Jo, I just didnt think of any one else having the wobbles when it comes to hospital appointment time,but ofcourse we all must get it, unlike most people on here it is about 5 years since I was diagnosed and so far I havnt had any treatment, so I know I'm very lucky,but it still gets to me the week before the appointment,I always have that feeling ,this time is it. So all the best Peter and long may it last. Ted

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Ted

My husband was also diagnosed 5 years ago and still,thank God is not on any treatment. Frank goes to see consultant every two months. He appears to take the whole thing in his stride (or maybe it is for my benefit) but I get so uptight I'm fit to be tied. I think "we have got away with it for x amount of years, this is the time we won't". Thank God we have been so lucky and I pray that it goes on. After the initial shock of diaganoses, we try and enjoy every day.

My very best to you and long may you continue to keep this bl..dy mm at bay.

Love Jean xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘About time I joined the Forum !!!!’ is closed to new replies.