And there it was, gone

This topic contains 26 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  andyg 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi all, Now back from my trip to France. I did not bother with the Insurance in the end. When it got up to £560 for one week my family decided that they would Insure me instead 😀

We had a lovely "Gite" near a small town called Ruffiac, and we travelled over 350 miles site seeing around the area. We did 680 miles all told not including the crossing. The Gite had it's own swimming pool and it was great to hear the sound of our Grandchildren enjoying themselves. The weather was kind to us and we had lots of sunshine.

This may well be my last trip abroad and it was a good one to finish on.

Kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

tom
    Participant

Welcome home David

And am pleased you had a great time 😎
    The old Gite's Look great on telly yours must have been posh to have its own pool

And you just might just might do it again 😎
    Vasbyte

Tom Onwards and upwards

dickb
    Participant

Glad you had a good time with the family, some things are just too important to stop doing, it probably has helped with coping now you are back.

eve
    Participant

Hi David

So glad you went,the insurance people like to bleed you dry,I hope you do manage to go again,France is still very nice in October,specially the west coast,for us France is only 20 miles away,I walk the dog every day,and there's France beckoning me,I did not get the dogs booster rabies done,I forgot,so we will not be travelling .:-(
    I cannot complain,we have spent the last 10 years before Slims illness travelling full time,and before that 8 years every winter,made up for all the holidays we did not have.
    Have you done all your bucket list ????

It does become an acceptance,of the future,but at least you got that holiday in with the family.Love Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

Well Mo and I never had a Bucket list Eve.

During a hospital visit to see me in 2009 I gave Mo a blank sheet of A4 Paper and I had one sheet as well. We had already seen the film the Bucket List, but just to cap it my son gave me a copy when he heard my diagnosis – we have the same sense of humour. I asked my wife to bring her list in when she had written ten things “We must do before I die”. A few days later she came in and gave me the sheet, and, I gave her mine. We both opened together and we both laughed. They were both blank.

That is not to say that I have just sat on my bum since 2009. Mo and I are thankful of the time we have been given and have made the absolute maximum use of it. Those who have followed my posts will know we have not been a home for very long before we are off again.

Mo and I have had a good life together for the past 50 years. We have had our ups and downs just like everybody else but we have stuck together and helped each other no matter what. We have been places and seen things many people just dream about, Maldives 5 times will give you some idea. We both started with no family, I in an orphanage, my family destroyed in the London bombing, and Mo’s family split up in pieces. Mo and I have made it our business to pull together cousins and nephews etc… left from both our families, we have seized every opportunity to bring them together. I will shortly send out a family tree to them showing their places in the Marriott Clan (going back to 1666). When I end my life it will be with a wonderful family; and to add to that I have watched my Grandchildren grow.

Of course I would like more time but my end is now on the horizon. My ONLY regret is that I would have liked to nurse my wife in her final moments but that is not to be and she will now have to nurse me.

Please do not think I am being “pessimistic” or not “positive”, that is not in my nature. I very much intend to live as long as I can. I am just being realistic and facing the facts and that makes it easier for everybody I think. Mo and I have told my hospital consultants (one for each cancer) that I want “Quality of life not quantity”

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

tom
    Participant

Hi David

I don't think you are being “pessimistic” or not “positive” I believe you are being Honest and Truthful, I wish you a longer and more healthier time ahead and all of your Family have more trips and great days.

Vasbyte and Onwards and Upwards

Tom x

eve
    Participant

Hi David

You put that so nicely ,and I do not think you are being pessimistic or not positive at all in fact I think you are being very realistic ,I posted not long ago in the carers section,as my head has lifted it's self we'll and truly out of the sand,,that elephant you talk about,made a run for the door squeezed out,and ran for the hills.

Slims only regret it not Diving the barrier reef in Australia,plus not getting to Galapagos ,he said he would put up with the cruise,as long as he saw the animals:-P

It's not to be,but he,s the same as you,he has had a wonderful life,just wanted more,I always thought he would live to his eighties as Grandfather and mother did,his mum only died 3 years ago this month,his DAd died 28 but that was a bullet,so cannot compare.
    It's a different roller coaster this one just goes down hill lol,welcome Eve.

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi David

Glad you had a nice time in France with the family.

I am trying to persuade Ian to go on a cruise when he has been home for a few months. Haven't been on a cruise before but believe you are well looked after.

Maureen

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi David

Sounds like you had a great time, I hope you get to go on more trips. Very best to you and Mo

Maureen cruises are great – you can do exactly what you want. Frank and I love it. Have booked for 13 Sept round France and Italy but Frank not very well at moment so don't know if its a go. Hope you can manage to persuade Ian. Good luck 😀

Jean x

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi David,

I hope that this has not been your last trip abroad… there is always Wales and Scotland.) 😎

I can recommend both the Pembrokeshire coast, north (Welsh to bits and the south 'Little England beyond Wales') and the Gower Coast, compressed into one small area of outstanding beauty. And yes, I can vouch for your travels since you joined the forum (a short time after me if I recall correctly)… I especial enjoyed your report on your 'Saints and Stones?' tour.:-)

I hope to be around for a good while yet (but you never know)… and I hope you are sell around to see me off. 😎

Regards and best wishes… 😉

Dai.

bandityoga
    Participant

hi Jean

Hope Frank recovers and you can go on your cruise. It will be good for both of you.

Maureen x

Perkymite
    Participant

What a nice bunch you all are and I think that is the link with Myeloma "only nice people get it". Many thanks for the nice replies.

That was my "Living and the Dead tour" Dai, going from Taunton to Scotland back to London and Home. I planted Daffodils, from my garden, on all mine and Mo's ancestors graves going back to Great, Great, Great, Grandparents and at the same time visiting friends we had not seen, in some cases for 30 years. I am well aware of the beauty of Wales having been there several times. Pen e Fan(?) in the Brecon Beacons has special memories, both good and bad 😀 🙁 😎

We are already planning several trips before Christmas, mainly in the Cornwall area at present.

Hi Maureen, I have lots of friends that have done cruises and not one of them regretted it, far from it – Go for it.

My kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

Helen
    Participant

Dear David
    Im glad you seem to have had such a lovely time, maybe you can squeeze another few little trips somewhere? I'm trying to plan next year now in the hope that I get to some of the places I planned.
    Love Helen

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Helen, That is what Mo I do. All the trips this year were planned with the proviso of "depending how David is" 😀 I have made every one so far 😎

Kindest regard – vasbyte

David

san
    Participant

Hello David it was so good to hear about your recent holiday, and just like everybody else i so hope that you have many more fab holidays abroad and at home, Cornwall is beautiful 😎 too. I tell my Mum about the lovely people on this forum and so much of the advice i give her comes from here which helps take the fear of this illness from us all as we manage day to day living with uncertainty. I know that she is sad and scared and has bad days which she tries to hide from the family, but reading the entries here gives me strength and knowledge which i pass onto my Mum, she is currently in remission but i know that she worries about a future relapse, as her daughter i have changed and now know how to live for the day since the trauma after diagnosis and the last 6 months of helping with her care, but i am not the one with myeloma and see how hard it is for her to live for the day, this illness hits like a steam train and leaves the sufferer and families reeling, but good times are there too which are a surprise when they happen as for a time you think that normal life is never going to happen again! its great to hear that holidays and outings are doable for lots of people on here. Stay strong special people 😀 , love San x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘And there it was, gone’ is closed to new replies.