And there it was, gone

This topic contains 26 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  andyg 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

Thanks San, One of the nice thing about our group is we have great empathy for each other we know, or can guess, the problems each other are going through.

I feel so much for some of the people on this site. I am a ripe 70 years of age and have had a full share of life. Some on here are half my age and just developing young families. For them it is a real tragedy and I sincerely hope something comes along for them soon. There are good things in the pipe line, we just need it to flow a lot quicker πŸ™‚ .

Best of luck with your Mum and please keep us posted about her progress, good and bad.

Kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

san
    Participant

Thank you David, yes i agree the empathy is wonderful πŸ™‚ and as everybody is at different stages of illness or caring there is always somebody feeling able to give support and advice, gosh one day there will be treatments tailored for the individual that cure myeloma sufferers, and i agree it really it can't come quickly enough! love San x

janw
    Participant

Hi David

Great to hear you had a terrific holiday in France. We travelled to France for holidays for over ten years enjoying lots of different self catering accommodation across the country.

We have just returned from Tenerife where we spent ten days of lovely relaxation,sunshine and excellent food. Our family travel insurance was reasonable at Β£120, the same amount my 94 year old father had to pay with his skin cancer and high blood pressure. Several companies would not insure my husband because of his time off from work due to the stress of my illness and there were lots of companies unwilling to insure the elderly.

My mom was adopted from birth in 1925 and unfortunately despite hours and hours of research, we have never been able to trace our family history past her mother mainly because my mom's grandmother was a Romany gipsy with no details on their family on the census information. When my mother died last year, understandably she regretted not being able to trace her family tree which was top of her bucket list.

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy lots more holiday times with your grand children.

Love Jan x

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Jan, That sounds very cheap for insurance. What Company are you with?

With regard to your mother have you tried tracing her back through Birth, Marriage, and Death certificates. They can be pricey to buy about Β£25 each is my recollection but thay have some fascinating information on them. Apply for your mum's certificates and this will show parental information even relatives in some cases (shown as witnesses etc..). You can then apply for Grandparents certificates etc. There are several sites where you can also research BMD certs, although you still have to pay or buy a copy of the original cert. I hope this of some help.

This year I placed a memorial stone on my father' grave. He died in 1944 and it was a very moving moment for me. Photos attached. I hope this is of some help.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

janw
    Participant

Hi David

We insured with World First Travel Insurance (0845 9080161) and my dad with Travel Insurance 4 Medical co.uk (0845 9080121). Our two kids aged 20 (suffers with asthma) and 23 had one policy at Β£40 plus our policy was Β£83 which covered my myeloma and hubby's stress, asthma, irregular heatbeat and hiatus hernia. Both companies appear to be linked because they share the same trading name of Rothwell and Towler, Exeter and both offer the same policy details. I struggled to find insurance for my 94 year old dad because of his age,skin cancer and he is waiting for surgery on a rodent ulcer on his lip. I filled in the medical insurance questionnaire on Money Supermarket website with my dad's details and they came up with Travel Insurance 4 Medical.

I love your pictures and welcome your advice on tracing family trees.
    My mom spent many years trying to trace her true parents, but because she was illegitimate and adopted the whole process proved very complicated. She managed to find out quite a bit of information through the official adoption court process, but her mother's birth certificate details were very limited. She has tried purchasing quite a few certificates and registering on various genealogical web sites, but unfortunately never managed to trace the family line further back than her mother. Her true father was a happily married business man, who had an affair with his young single girl shop assistant, but refused to acknowledge his female child born out of wed lock because of the scandal it would cause his family. Being an unmarried mother in the 1920's was a sin and therefore my mother was adopted through friends. However after the adoption, her mother suffered severe post natal depression and was placed in a mental institution which was the normal process for the 1920's. Unfortunately she died in the institution and following a severe fire in the building, all her medical records were destroyed. Her grandmother was a travelling Romany gipsy and many did not bother to register with the early 1900 census details.

When my mom died last year, I thought I might try again to trace the family tree but so far I haven't found the time – perhaps I should add it to my bucket list!

Love Jan x

Eva
    Participant

Dear David,
    I'm so happy to hear that you've been on your trip!
    Best wishes to you and your wife. I hope you can do things at home that help you to live in the moment and have a good time.
    My next trip is coming up very soon: 22nd to 27th Sept, but unfortunately it will be about lots of tests and consultations in London. I will be staying at a B&B in Wimbledon, not far from the hospital, so maybe I'll be able to go for a walk if the weather is good. Who knows what mischief I will get up to…..
    Eva

Perkymite
    Participant

Is that a mischievous invitation Eva πŸ˜‰ I am 70 years of age and a married man you know, but, always up for a challenge πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

That trip was great for many things, I think hearing my Son and his FiancΓ©, two of my Grandchildren and my Wife laughing hysterically in the pool playing with a ball, although I could not join in, was brilliant. It really is the small things in life that can give so much pleasure, if you just pay attention.

We have a trip planned for November to a Lodge down in Cornwall. It will celebrate our 51st and my Son's 50th birthday. Incredible when you think I was told quite clearly that I would not make my 50th wedding anniversary. It will not be swimming and barbies on the beach, at least not for me, but huge log fires and good champagne in a hot Jacuzzi. I am really looking forward to it.

Kindest regards – vasbyte.

David

p.s. I just thought I had better mention Eva I wear bed socks at night πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Eva
    Participant

And I sometimes wear a scarf when I get cold….
    Eva

Perkymite
    Participant

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

What more is there to say!

Must go, the wife has just come home :-0

Kindest regards vasbyte

David

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Jan,

My Grandmother was also a Romany gypsy… her parents found their way to England after a 5 year trip starting in Romany and travelling through quite a few Eastern European countries before sailing from Northern Spain to England. They ended up in a permanent gypsy camp in Central London… near to Latimer/Ladbroke Grove… it is still there. My Great Grandparents took on the name of the camp leader… so Bucklands they became.:-)

I have an interesting anaemia that is common amongst Eastern European Romanies… it is similar to Sickle Cell but can be treated quite simply by Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine). My consultant tells me that my MM is totally coincidental to my anaemia.;-)

You might want to trace the address of the camp… they did have a couple of researchers who have produced a few good books and research papers. Your relative may well be recorded in their work. One of the researchers came to live in Fishguard for a few years in the mid-90's and I borrowed a couple of her books… Tracey Morris? or something similar springs to mind.:-)

It might be worth a look.8-)

Regards

Dai.

janw
    Participant

Hi Dai

It's fascinating to read the details about your Romany gipsy background. Unfortunately, I don't know much about my grandmother, apart from the fact that she belonged to the Lee Romany tribe living around Wales and Blackpool area in the early 1900's. My grandmother used to make a living from the traditional fortune telling, skills which my mom certainly inherited. Perhaps, I inherited my anaemia which I have problems with since age 11. I'll certainly have a look at the details which you mention. Many thanks for the info.

Regards Jan

andyg
    Participant

Hi David
    Glad to hear you had a good time in France. I know what you mean about insurance! After I was given the ok to travel to Greece this weekend by my consultant Steph rang round the insurance companies for quotes. Several wouldn't even quote for various differing reasons. One being I had just had surgery on my back. One of the few quotes we got was for Β£850! for a week. In the end we managed to get insurance for both of us for the week for Β£85 so now the packing can begin.
    Hopefully this won't be the end of trips abroad but the insurance issue is a worry. Planning a weekend in Belgium around end of November beginning of December time. πŸ˜‰ and we're off to the lakes the beginning of October. πŸ˜€ as long as health issues don't interfere.
    I do hope you get to travel abroad again David and as Dai says there's always Wales and Scotland. 😎
    Wish I knew where I put my budgie smugglers may have to leave them behind! :-0

Every days a gift
    Use it.

Andy

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘And there it was, gone’ is closed to new replies.