Anti Biotics

This topic contains 40 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  tom 11 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Vicki
    Participant

No more need for a onesie then Tom ha ha

Vicki and Colin x

Ali
    Participant

Hi Vicky

Mum was discharged tea time yesterday. Shes still not well but shes now on oral antib's so able to come home. Shes got a chest infection. When her temp got to 39.7 Dad rushed her in.

What we dont understand is when to take action when she is unwell. I suppose its been brewing for a while….cold, cough and muzzy head. She felt bad enough Tuesday am to go to GP who gave anti biotics, then temp started to rise in the evening, then fall, then back up early hours Wed.

Think what im trying to say is should she just have bypassed the GP and gone straight to hospital? What does everyone else do?.

Holidays in 6 weeks or so, think shes abit worried as shes going for 17 days. This is the 2nd hospital stay this year and I think its knocked Mums confidence. Just as shes starting to feel better shes back in hospital again.

Hope Colins pain relief gets sorted Vicky. I do so understand the worry of it all. Has he slowed down a little at work?.

Love Ali x

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Ali,

Glad to hear your mums out of hospital! 🙂 its difficult isn't it knowing who to contact. I asked the consultant when we had our first visit after sct and she said continue to contact them for now. So last week when Colin was really really tired we phoned the chemo helpline and went in for blood test. We felt a bit guilty as they are so busy but they said it was the right thing to do. I suppose after the shock of having this illness in our families we always feel safer ringing the hospital! That said I am sure there is a cut off point where it's business as usual to the Gp, but I don't know when that is. I can understand your mums confidence being knocked. Same for us, we haven't been away from home in a year….too scared in case we need the hospital. Also we are still waiting for Colin to feel like normal and turn that corner? For your mum I'd feel safer on a cruise because there is excellent 24/7 care…..I so hope she enjoys it, where are they going?

Hope you are ok Ali….life seemed so simple looking back, before this mm and I wonder whether we'll on have simple worries again! 🙂

Vicki and Colin x

Helen
    Participant

Hi Tom
    Am not on face book! Put onesie pic on here?:-) pretty please! Are you better now?

And Ali
    It's back to the ' feel a bit ill? Take temp….. If stays above 37.5 for 6 hours or hits 38 once phone hosp…. She is on the trial… That's what they have to report so she needs to go in to see them. And I can understand holiday fears. My consultant sent me out on acyclovir and with a thermometer (and a course of antibiotic for emergency use ) and heparin for the flights when I went to NZ for 3 weeks. He made me promise to take my temp every day and be careful, I was and it worked.
    Love Helen

san
    Participant

Hello Ali, i am in a similar place regarding who to contact when things go wrong as Mum will be coming out of hospital soon and its a bit worrying for us all, i understand that we contact our oncology ward rather than the GP if Mum has a temp and they decide on what is needed ie to come in for i/v antibiotics, and wonder if you need to do the same, can you ask your Mums haematology nurse? i imagine that there are lots of different ways to get help quickly and every hospital is different in this, i do hope that she enjoys her lovely holiday and gets better soon , take care San xx

Ali
    Participant

Hi San

Hows your Mum doing? any nearer to coming home?

Hi Helen

Thanks for that. When Mums been ill before theres been times when Dads phoned in to the ward and they have said go in, other times hes had to phone emergency out of hours doctors, so never very sure! The thing is this last time my Dad was working nights and half way round the country, so I was "In charge". Im really mindful that Mum [b]does not [/b]want to go into hospital, so when her temperature went down, and after a conferance call/committee meeting with Dad, I was kind of relieved I didnt have to take her in! Of course, when she woke up with a temo of 39.7, we all realised she should have gone in. Im not pratting around next time though and will follow your protocol – thankyou 🙂

How are you doing? Chuffed you got your parking space back – how very dare they?!

Love Ali x

Ali
    Participant

Hi Vicky

Im going to follow Helens protocol next time, Im not farting around pretending it will be ok (like it used to be:-( )

Do you know, I was just starting to feel a little easier, then I remember, and I could just cry.

Im sure Mum will have a fantastic time on holiday (armed with antibiotics), maybe you and Colin should start planning some time away? Time to forget a little and time to relax.

Love Ali

Helen – you are missing a treat, Tom in his onesie!

tom
    Participant

Hi Helen
    Well it's a shame you ain't on Face Book, but I have posted the Onesie on the General board as I don't want to shock folk with a chest infection ha ha.

Love Tom xxx

PeterJames
    Participant

Hi Tom
    It's that bald head of yours given you an infection this cold weather or drinking contraband vodka
    Wouldn't happen on my side of the hill
    What's wanted is a onesie with a flexible hoody to allow for hair growth
    Nowspring is here , new growth springing up on beard , top of head also started , thinking of shampooing with grow more
    After a lot of practice managed to get back on the red stuff , so bought a crate at Costco today
    Keep on going upwards
    Peter

tom
    Participant

Hi Peter

Bald? me?? well I must have a look in Mirror, am sure I have a good head of hair? al be back in a few mins ?
    :
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    WOW am Bloomin Bald :-0 Now I wonder when that happened???

Might have to look at "Wigs" what Colour should I have??
    The "Red" will do you the world of good 😀 and may I say nowt wrong wi your eyes to spot that I aint got any hair on head Lol.

Take Care

Tom

san
    Participant

Hi Ali, thank you for asking, Mum should be coming out of hospital in a day or two, she had her assessment with the OT at home yesterday and did well, she tried so hard and after 7 weeks in hospital well i am so excited for her but with some trepidation hoping that Dad can cope and the unknown and he is just recovering from a chesty cold!!, she is on her 2nd chemo cycle two weeks in so lots of medication and is practising giving herself fragmin injections so lots to consider and new experiences, not particularly easy ones either for them in their later years. Ali how are your Mum and Dad doing? hope that your Mum is ok, now i know what you mean about Mum's not wanting to go into hospital its hard to make decisions with them re when to call the hospital when they would rather not go anywhere near them!! which is understandable. Take care San xx

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Anti Biotics’ is closed to new replies.