Antibiotics etc after SCT

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  keithmt 10 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Carolsymons
    Participant

I am curious as to what drugs others were taking after SCT. I have been told I will need to take penicillin for 1 year. I was on anti virals for 1 month after the transplant, then septrim was added, which I understand I have to take long term as well. It seems this use of prophylactics varies between consultants. Am anxious to avoid as many drugs as I can and as I had no infections either during transplant or in the 11 weeks since, I consider I am low risk. (But maybe that is thanks to the prophylactics….who knows?)

Also Ealing nurse told me that bisphosphonates were now 3 monthly for people like me, not undergoing treatment, but Hammersmith consultant wants me to have it monthly. The long term effects of bisphosphonates worry me as well (I have had parmidronate monthly since diagnosis 1 year ago.)

Carol

tom
    Participant

Hi Carol

Well post SCT I done a few months taking anti virals and anti sick, and Zometa ant ye Zometa was for just two years, apart from that I was drug free

tom
    Participant

Ps part post missing lol.

Good luck with yours
    Love Tom onwards and upwards. Xxx

Lord knows why it leaves some out ?? Think I might be using the wrong ink lol ha ha xxxx

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Carol, I have been on bisphosphonates since 2009. I was on Paramidronate but recently changed to the 3 month jab. I have been taken off bisphosphonates in January because I might have to have a coupled of teeth extracted in May. If I do I will not go back on it until August.

Everybody reacts to drugs differently but we all worry about Osteocronosis of the Jaw with bisphosphonates but it is extremely rare. Since being on the site I think I can remember only one person having trouble. I have had no problems and cannot identify any side affects I could pin to it.

Hope this is of some help.

Kindest regards = Vasbyte
    David

dickb
    Participant

Hi Carol,

I have 5 drugs to take – Contrim forte – anti biotic 3 x week, Aciclec 400 – anti viral daily, Pantoprozol – I believe to prevent gastro problems, daily, Folverlan 5mg a follic acid supplement daily. I take Nuvoinsulfon pain killers but that is 1 tablet, 500mg before bed. I have very little bone pain during the day but it is a bit of a nuisance at night. My doctor said 1 tablet a day is like being homeopathic but that is all I need. As for Zometa, I haven’t had any since November.

Richard

Anonymous

My own lessons were not unlike others who have gone through such a life changing transformation, and these lessons have served me not just during my re-birth (YAY! — new stem cells!!!), but for my new life. Great to know about this Antibiotics etc after SCT..

keithmt
    Participant

Hi Carol,

I’m 29 days post SCT and am taking antibiotics 3 times a week, antiviral daily and antifungal daily. I’ve been told to wean myself off the antisickness so am just taking one tablet a day now until next week when I’ll stop altogether.

I understand that at some point I’ll go back to monthly Zometa.

Cheers

Keith

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Antibiotics etc after SCT’ is closed to new replies.