ANTICIPATING THE NEWS

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  kaychappers 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

kaychappers
    Participant

Hi everybody
    I had my bone marrow biopsy today, and have to say it was very difficult. The first one I had was a breeze but it was extremely painful procedure this morning. My friend was with me and she was horrified, but it is over now. I am getting my results on Thursday as to whether the treatment will begin next Tuesday. My consultant seems to think it is a done deal, she believes it will begin. However, I am in total denial still is this normal????? Anyway I will let you know the outcome.

Kay xxx

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Kay, welcome to our little band, sorry you had to join us:-/

I think the Consultants have seen it all before and therefore tend to assume things will take the "normal" (if you can use such a word when talking about Myeloma) route.

I am not a denial person but I can fully understand why some do take that attitude. ParaProtien is the nasty in Myeloma and I use the initials PP to translate to Practical and Positive. I accepted what I have but I am going to fight it to the end:-D

Kindest regards

David

zasrs
    Participant

Hi Kay

Sorry to hear such a bad time with the biopsy, Gordon has had sevral and each time the experiance is different, some pain free some like you experienced.

hope the results are okay

Sarah

KeithH17
    Participant

Hi Kay,sorry to hear you had a painful biopsy,as if we don't have enough to contend with.
    I had mine last month when a specimen of the actual bone was also taken.
    Two days later I got the phone-call telling me that the MM had relapsed after 2.8yrs.
    I can't honestly say I was surprised giving the pain I'd been experiencing over the 2,months prior to a Skeletal survey followed by the biopsy.
    But we just have to take it on the chin and start the next phase in the battle to defeat the Monster.
    Mine started, 8,cycles of Velcade+Dex 17th Jan with first cycle completed today and the next 10,days rest until it all starts over again.
    I hope your outcome turns out to be better than mine but I think it's always a good idea to be prepared for the worst just in case.

Best wishes Kay and I hope all goes well for you.

Keith.

brocho
    Participant

Hi Kay ouch!! there is nothing worse than a painful bmb.Do you have sedation? I would never have a biopsy done without sedation and it should be available to you Good luck with your results love Bridget

strictlymyeloma
    Participant

good morning Kaychappers
    sorry to hear about your painfull BMB
    i have had three to date the first was very very painfull
    after speaking to a friend who is a nurse she suggested asking for gas and air (although im not pregnant) which i duly did, luckily my consultant agreed the subsquent BMB's were completly painfree apart from feeling pressure when carried out but you must give pre warning this is what you want, the only effect is the feeling of being drunk
    now that i can put up with
    hope this helps
    norman

BADGER
    Participant

Good Morning Kay
    ouch another painful bone marrow I have had three all painful because I did not realise you could have some sort of sedative will ask next time
    any way your consultant may not be right life is full of supprises lets hope its one of those times
    Good luck regards Jo 🙂

kaychappers
    Participant

Thank you to all of your replies. I only had a local anaesetic. My first one was done by my clinical nurse, who was off sick, but next time I may well ask for sedation. They are trying to get me on the trial with Revlimid, but I shall know exactly on Thursday. Will let you know and appreciate all of your support. It helps when you talk to other people that have been through it and on the other side.
    Kay xx

Gaye
    Participant

Dear Jo – great picture and good to see you in full feature. Well done – you finally cracked it!
    Gaye x

Gaye
    Participant

Sarah – I see the phantom hand has come back again on your shoulder after being airbrushed out! It never fails to make me laugh!
    Gaye xx

zasrs
    Participant

Hi Gaye

I must download another photo!! but maybe if it causes a laugh i should leave well alone!
    It was taken the end of a very long boozy wedding!!!

All the best

Sarah:-)

Debs
    Participant

Hi Kay,

I remember really well what you are describing….both with the BMB and the anticipation. I think you'll be finding out today so good luck with it all and I hope that your consultant is wrong…they quite often are!!!

If you get on the trial and what to have a natter about it, drop me an email at gascoyne2@virginmedia.com. I'm happy to talk on email or over the phone if you'd like to.

As for the BMB and the pain….my guys said they'd give me happy pills next time 😀

Take care and good luck for today.
    Debs x

kaychappers
    Participant

Hi everyone
    Well my consultant called and I am to begin treatment on Tuesday!!!! Bone marrow was 13% now 30% but more worried about my anaemia. I have dropped from 10.3 to 9.4 in 5 weeks. She has told me I will be on lots and lots of tablets but she is lovely and I trust her completely. Will not know until Tuesday if I am on Revlimid or Thalidomide. All day at a time stuff but bit nervous.
    Love Kay xx

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ANTICIPATING THE NEWS’ is closed to new replies.