Back Pain

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  KWilson 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Gaye
    Participant

I am having a full spinal MRI on Thursday – if I can ever get on the flipping thing – with a view to having RT. This is the worst pain I have ever known and I hate taking painkillers of any sort. However, enough is enough. I am terrified of getting addicted but can anyone recommend some good pain relief that won't leave me like a zombie. This pain has gradually moved around the back and is currently in the lumbar region where it feels like I am being stabbed. AAAAArgh!

Help pleaase!
    Love, Gaye x

brocho
    Participant

Dear Gaye I really feel for you , there is nothing worse. At the moment I take Severodol for breakthrough pain , although morphine based it doesnt knock you out . I also use the heated pads which do help. Hopefully your rt will happen quickly once they have seen your mri results love Bridget x

Min
    Participant

Gaye
    Not on the same scale as you but my sciatica pain was not responding to anything you can buy across the counter, the Dr gave me 30mg of codeine. to be taken with 2across the counter paracetamol and 2 cross the counter ibuprofen. The pain relief of all these things together is wonderful. Taking all them is not so good but whatever it takes to get some relief.
    Im not sure if you can take ibuprofen. Peter is not allowed it due to kidney damage. But he is on Tramadol when not on morphine for his back pain. We make a funny couple with our back pains. Hopefully mine will go soon, he is stuck with his for some time. I hope you get some relief soon as i do sympathise with you on this.
    Min

Tina
    Participant

Hi Gaye,

So sorry to hear you are in so much pain, I guess you must be taking MST? Patrick uses Oromorph for the breakthrough pain which doesn't appear to have any detrimental side effects.
    Hopefully the MRI will identify the cause of the increase in pain and something positive can be done. How is your calcium level? Patrick always experiences extra pain when it rises.
    Good luck on Thursday

Love Tina

KeithH17
    Participant

I'm sorry to hear about the pain you are suffering Gaye.
    The problem is finding something that rids you of it without scrambling your brain in the process.
    I use Tramadol with paracetamol when I'm at the end of my tether but like you I don't like taking anything unless I really have to.
    Since starting my latest treatment(Velcade+Dex)most of the pain has now gone completely after 8 weeks constant agony.
    The sooner the better you have the scan and they can pinpoint the problem then the RT should sort it out for you.
    Have you started your new treatment yet and if so how is it going?

Take Care Gaye and I hope you start feeling better soon.
    With this horrible disease if it's not one thing then it's another.

Keith.

Gaye
    Participant

Thank you all very much for your help. I can't take tramadol as it contra-indicates with another drug I take. Typical. Tina, at the moment I am just taking co-codamol but it doesn't even begin to touch the pain. Keith I am so glad your pain has gone now you are on treatment. Bliss!

I read that Susannah York died last week of advanced bone marrow cancer which when I looked it up became myeloma. No wonder people don't know of myeloma when the press won't acknowledge it with its correct name.

Just coming to the end of my first week on pomalidomide. It makes me feel drowsy but that's about it so far. Will keep you informed.

So, at the beginning of another week good luck everybody with treatment etc. Thinking of you.
    Love, Gaye x

KWilson
    Participant

Have you tried any of the anti inflammatories (Ibuprofen or suchlike)? They might help.

If/when you get the RT it will help to get rid of the pain, altho' it's not instant (well, it wasn't with me anyway) but it's stayed away for years.

xxx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Back Pain’ is closed to new replies.