Balloon Kyphoplasty

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Min 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ron
    Participant

My wife Christine was diagnosed with mm 3 months ago and, although CDT treatment has been suspended because she has developed high grade pressure sores and the treatment for this takes priority over the chemotherapy, the doctor has recently advised us that her pp has reduced from 15 at the outset to 3. This is encouraging, and she is not experiencing any significant pain. The main side effect is constant fatigue. The main reason for this post is that I have read the recent report from Myeloma UK which appears to suggest that balloon kyphoplasty is a safe and effective procedure where collapsed vertebrae are involved. Although, as I said, Christine does not have bone pain, her spine is very curved and she has lost almost 3 inches in height (this from her previous height of only 5 foot). We are interested in the procedure mainly for cosmetic reasons, but her appearance does have a depressing effect on her whole outlook and I am sure that if she could regain some height and posture she would feel so much better. I know some of the people on this forum have had kyphoplasty and we intend to discuss the possibility when we see the haematologist in 2 weeks. Any thoughts on (a) whether the procedure is worthwhile and (b) whether it would be sanctioned when the reason would be for appearance and not for pain relief?

brocho
    Participant

Hi Ron I do understand how your wife feels as I too have lost 3 inches in height and my appearance has changed completely in the last 4 yearsThe main thing though is that she does not have any bone pain. I am not sure whether they would do this procedure on the basis of appearance but its definitely worth asking Please let us know how you get on and good luck Bridget

Elizellen
    Participant

When I heard about balloon kyphoplasty I hoped they could do it for me (lost about 5" and am stooped over) but unfortunately they have decided after xrays and lengthy discussions that it will not be an option for me as my vertebrae are too damaged.

I can't help thinking that if only they had looked at it at the start of my diagnosis it might have been possible, but there we are!! 🙁

The best they have decided they can do for me is to provide me with a couple of thoracic braces that I can wear to hold me more upright when out and about in the hopes this will alleviate the back pain I have constantly.

I hope your consultant will consider it for your wife, as I know too well about the depression that being a weird shape can give me from time to time as well as the worry that my posture is putting a strain on my internal organs.

Elizabeth
    XX
    X

Min
    Participant

Hi Ron, My husband has had Baloon Kyphoplasty done on two vertebra and only delay to getting the other two is the fact he is on blood thinners.
    The surgeon made it very clear it would not be done for cosmetic reasons only to alleviate pain. However if by suffering from kyphosis she is unable to raise her head to see dangers ahead for instance that is a different matter.
    I can tell you that the operation did not take the kyphosis away for my husband it was exercise. The muscles that maintain the spine are withering away due to not being used and a good physio [b]may[/b] be able to help to straighten up a little.
    I think if it were me I would be telling them it is painful just to get the proceedure done! Get a referral from her GP and see what happens
    Min

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Balloon Kyphoplasty’ is closed to new replies.