Becky's Myeloma UK Event

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ali 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

DaiCro
    Participant

Well, I am truly glad that the day's events are over because I am utterly shattered but I am bursting with pride at my daughter Becky's organising efforts.

Becky qualified as a Hypnotherapist last year but decided she wanted to take it further and has just finished the first year of a two year Psychotherapy course… in the meantime she is working as a barmaid at a conference/events centre. Her workplace has several suites and two separate 'events' rooms for weddings, parties, house auctions etc, etc. Her boss, the owner, not only gave her a fully staffed events room for free, he also, along with a friend, completed a full triathlon (Swim, Cycle Ride and Run) which started at 8:30am and finished back at 'The Towers' at 8pm this evening. Chris, the owner is a slim and very fit looking man… but his friend 'Chase' weighs 20 stone and so, quite naturally, the day went at his pace but he completed the trials and looked, unsurprisingly, completely beat. Sponsorship isn't complete yet but they believe it will be well in excess of £250.

The evening's events started at 6.30pm… with 'comic' relief by way of two young men having their legs waxed and relieved of hair… it looked and sounded extremely painful and Tricia, the beauty technician, certainly made sure that they ended up with completely hair free legs. The third young man settled for his very nice hair being completely shaved. They paid £40 pounds 'for the pleasure' of such beauty treatment.

There were several stalls, including baked goods, homemade jewellry, crafts, bric-a-brac and a nail beautician… all who either gave their complete takings or a large percentage.

I provided musical entertainment with backing from Becky and my Grandson Matthew… and they also performed a solo spot which they dedicated to me. Two of Becky's teenage cousins, one a national champion, performed three spots of Irish dancing… Miss Mansfield, about to take part in the Miss United Kingdom pageant, came along to support the night, complete with a reporter and photographer from the local paper… and she stayed for the rest of the night and she also sang with a guitarist… an extremely beautiful and very talented girl. She also provided a duo and her guitarist who did sets of musical entertainment… (still going strong when I left at 10.15pm)… so all in all it was a very entertaining and eclectic evening.

I hit the wall at about 10pm and had to leave but the room was still full and the bar very busy when I left. (The evening officially finished at 11pm). The evening started with families and people popping in to support the event but from 8pm on there were approximately 90 people in the room, with every attractively decorated 8 seater tables (10 in total) full with the usual crowd around the bar. Becky charged £2.50 entrance with a very nice buffet at 8:30 included in the price. Of course there was a very generously donated table full of raffle prizes and a 'Name The Teddy' competition which to my delight was won by Janet… and no, we did not donate it back… 'Mabel' is going to our 4 year old Granddaughter Edith.

So, just my quick thoughts on the event… made possible by the generosity of so many people (there was even a presentation by the 'Slimming World' contingency of £87… their Sin Bin' money)… and the wonderfully eccentric organisation and MCing skills of my wonderful Becky. 😎

A wonderful and hopefully, very profitable day for Myeloma UK.:-)

Dai.

eve
    Participant

Dai
    All that sounds like a wonderful heavy day,you must be very proud,as an event like that takes a lot of organisation and lots of hard work.

I wonder how these wonderful people find all the energy to do all these events,my Son in law has just done a support driver for people who cycled to Lands End from Canterbury in aid of Cancer plus Demelzer House which is a respite for very sick children.
    There is so much good going on in this Country even in times of hardship.
    Thank you for a lovely posting it is started my day with a smile,even if the day is going to be spent in the hospital.(bloods and Platelets:-P)love Eve

Ali
    Participant

Hi Dai,

Well done Becky. I wish id had known about the event as I live only 5 minutes up the road!

Sounds like a good night was had by all – lets hope the money keeps rolling in! I will watch out for you all in The Chad next week!

Take care

Alison x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Becky's Myeloma UK Event’ is closed to new replies.