Bence jones

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mammabear 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mammabear
    Participant

Hi I am 42 and single mum to 8. Started having tests done earlier in the year because I was having nerve pain in my back, my fingers in one hand were constantly tingling and my knees are now grinding when I lift them or walk upstairs. And I’m tired and weak all the time. The bloods showed up iga 4.88 so they ordered crp which came back 16 but rheumatoid factor was 10 and negative for lupus and celiacs. The doctor then told me to send in a first urine of the morning sample and when I picked it up it said bence jones protein which has led me to this site. I’m urine test isn’t back yet but wanted some opinions from people that know. From my symptoms and bloods does it sound likely to be myeloma or am I worried for nothing. Thankyou in advance xx

mulberry
    Participant

Hi, I’m sorry that no one has felt able to answer your query, and that you’ve had to find our site.
    We are patients rather than doctors so can’t give you medical opinion. while some of your symptoms could feasibly be myeloma, eg fatigue & back pain, & some of us did have less common for myeloma symptoms at diagnosis, I don’t think I’ve met anyone who had grinding knee pain, myeloma usually affects the trunk and/or long bones. The problem for people presenting with myeloma is that many of our symptoms such as tiredness, back pain, repeated infections, could be due to a number of conditions.
    It is always terrifying to find information on the internet, especially about cancer, when you only have a few test results to go on so you are left with more questions than answers. I hope your Dr is soon able to reassure you. If not, the next test is electrophoresis, a blood test to check whether you have monoclonal proteins known as “m spike” ( which by definition are cancerous). The only absolutely conclusive test however is a bone marrow biopsy to allow microscopic analysis of the plasma cells in the bone marrow.
    I really hope none of this proves necessary for you.

mammabear
    Participant

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to me in so much detail xx I really appreciate your help xx bence Jones still not back which I’m hoping is a good thing but will update when I do xx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.