Bristol SCT

This topic contains 30 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Helen 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

AV8R
    Participant

Thanks for everyone's kind words on my last discussion.

My connection from the Bristol Haematology Centre to the internet is somewhat flaky so I'm just hoping this will work.
    Day 1 was Monday 2nd July. I had my PICC installed and X-ray'd – a process which took about an hour. Not painful though a little tender when the local wore off. Then up to the ward for Melphalan. Lots of fluid first, then the chemo then more fluids. Only side effect was the need to visit the little boy's room a lot! Taking a leaf from Perkymite's book, I played music – Mars the Bringer of War (from the Planets Suite)
    Day 2 Tuesday 3rd. Day off but plans to be released for the day came to nothing – oh well.
    Day 3 Wednesday 4th. First Stem cell infusions. Pre-med included antihistamine which made me feel rather light headed and drowsy but managed to play next music – Staying Alive (by the Beegees). By bag 5 of 8 I felt rather rough and was sick – but the problem was quickly resolved by medication and I got through just OK.
    Day 4 Thursday 5th. Moved into an isolation room as apparently I stink of sweet corn! Second stem cell infusions. Pre-med now included the anti-sickness drug which worked. The team had to endure "Rescue Me" as the day's tune!
    How am I feeling? I'm loosing my appetite and feeling somewhat tired. My bloods are beginning to decay though I've been allowed to visit my former fellow patients in the first room today (probably won't be allowed to again).

Keep well everyone

Stephen

eve
    Participant

Hi Stephen
    Like you style,how about staying alive by the Bee |Gees for you next bit of music.
    Its good to see that staff are quick on the ball to relieve any side effects, sweet corn last a few days,must admit its not the nicest of smells.
    Carry on with the music.Eve

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Stephen,

Full steam ahead… There's no going back now!:-D

Talking of steam, that's the first thing to go, so for the next seven to ten days you will be running on reserve power… You will have to learn to use it sparingly and monitor your intake of fluids and food. I always thought that food would be my big problem but actually my battle was with liquids. I thought that I was taking enough but the medics disagreed (I had to measure everything in and everything out) and I ended up with a full-time dance partner in the shape of a drip stand… Which can rather cramp your style when you need to go.

I created a SCT Olympics blog… Setting myself times for different tasks… Due to different dimensions the times had to be individual but by the end I had improved significantly in all disciplines… Especially the 'Dash'.;-)

I wish you well both physically and mentally for the next few weeks… Especially day four to day ten when it's a matter of seeing through each day with as much grace as you can muster.8-)

Over to you and I will follow with interest.:-)

Cdai.

tom
    Participant

Hi Stephen

Sounds are Good and the choice is Good but you will need (soon) "Dont stop me now" when your Dash has started he he, then for a time you will want "Silent Night" as you will be sleepy.

Stay bug free and hope its not long before you are out but the day before you could play "Please release me" ha hx

Tom "onwards and Upwards" x

Ps I was out on day 16 🙂

Elizellen
    Participant

Good to see things are all going to plan, Stephen!

Love
    Eliz
    XX
    X

Mari
    Participant

Dear Stephen,

Glad to hear all has gone pretty much to plan so far. Now you will play the waiting game and I hope it is very uneventful. The others have given you plenty of good advice, just take it as easy as you can.

My Stephen is a few weeks behind you, he had his induction chemo on Friday and starts GCSF injections on Monday ready for harvest on the 15th. I bet it already feels like a while since you were doing that!

I hope your time in hospital passes easily for you, we are both sending you our best wishes,

Mari and Stephen

AV8R
    Participant

Thank you so much to everyone for your kind words and (importantly) for the humour. It is most encouraging to know that others have had similar experiences to mine and that I can communicate with you as needed.

I encourage anyone embarking on such treatment to similarly use the forum.

Thanks everyone and keep well

Stephen

Ali
    Participant

Hi Stephen

My Mum is not far behind you (pretty similar to Mari and Stephen). I do hope your transplant remains uneventful and I do love your choice of music!. Please, if your able to keep updating us – sending best wishes and hugs.

Love Ali x

Etta
    Participant

Hi Stephen,

glad to see things are going well. Nice to here what to expect when Etta goes in soon, I will have to start grabbing some music together to get her through the days.

Keep your spirits up, it will all be worth it in the end!

Craig & Etta

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Stephen and all,

Just catching up. Colin and I bit the bullet and went to Cornwall for a couple of days break! First time we've been away since he was diagnosed last October. A bit nervous before we went as he seems to pick up infections all the time, but it was worth it (weather rubbish!). Glad things are goin ok for you Stephen, we were wondering. We have ALS been following penny lawson. Glad they have your sickness under control and you are managing to keep your chin up. All the best.

By the way, thanks Ali for your good wishes for tomorrow. We've been bolstered a bit from our two days away!

Take care stephen

Vicki and Colin x

eve
    Participant

Hi Stephen

Found another song that is fitting,WE got to get out of this place,by the Animals,takes me back to my youth.Eve

AV8R
    Participant

It's probably worth me providing a brief update: Today is day 12 since I was admitted and I should now be in the "low point". Yes my neutrophils and platelets have gone right down but I'm coping quite well. I got a brief temperature "spike" which prompted the medical team to give me anti-biotics and now my platelet count at 5 will result in me receiving a transfusion today. All in all though I'm OK. My mouth has some mucositis but is not in anyway sore (maybe I should write a separate discussion about my thoughts on that?). I have had some bowel problems but that is now under control.

I keep my fingers crossed because, so far, I've had any easy run. Long may it continue and may others be similarly blessed.

Keep well

Stephen

Mari
    Participant

Hello Stephen,

Good to hear from you, I have been thinking about you and wondering how you have been getting on. I am delighted to hear things have not been 'too bad' and now from Day 12 things should be on the up.

Take care and take your time, your bloods will come up in their own good time, I know it can be a frustrating wait sometimes,

All the best,

Mari

DaiCro
    Participant

Glad to see that while you are going through the normal low points that they are running smoothly. Twelve days in? That's gone quick. In which case I'm predicting 0.1 for Tuesday am. Either way you must be getting near and then it will be home for recovery.

Keep up the good work, rather than going through the mill you have had the run of the mill and that can't be bad. 😎

Regards and best wishes 🙂

Dai.

tom
    Participant

Well done Stephen you sound as you are doing good 😀 keep it up and you will soon be out

Keep fit

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Bristol SCT’ is closed to new replies.