Collapsing after chemo prior to SCT

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Belles
    Participant

Hi All

My Mum is currently in hospital undergoing a syngeneic SCT from her twin. The day prior to her receiving the harvested cells, Mum had the huge blast of chemo and 24 hours of fluids etc. Just an hour before this was completed, unfortunately she had a fit/black out and fell and broke her ankle! They are now doing tests for epilepsy, but I wonder if it could have been a reaction to the huge amount of drugs administered?

They have done a lumber puncture and that is clear, so meningitis has been ruled out.

Has anyone else come across this reaction?

Any info would be gratefully received, I am going out of my mind worrying that she may have additional health problems.

Many thanks

Belles

shirley
    Participant

Hi Belles,sorry to hear your mum is poorly,and also sorry that i'm not able to help you in any way,just wanted to say that i hope everything goes well for your mum and that she's back on that road to recovery,both stay strong and take care, Shirls :):)

Gill
    Participant

Hi Belles

What a scare. It does sound as though your mum's medical team is on the ball to find out the cause. I hope everything goes well for her.

Sorry I cannot be of any help over this

regards Gill

onlyme
    Participant

Hi am sorry to hear of your journey.. It may or may not be the same as what we have just been through with my mum.

If you look at one of my earlier posts it explains what happened.. My mum suffered a huge seizure (hyponatremic seizure) and was in intensive care for 4 days. The first day she was unconscious and on ventilator. It was the most distressing thing to experience. it took the ICU dept a long time to correct the sodium levels , we were all stunned.

However after what seemed an eternity ..7days after …my Mum came back to being herself, with no lasting adverse affects. Which relieved the whole family..this was only two wks ago and we are still coming to terms with this event.

If I can help you I will do, I was at my wits end throughout, but seeing my Mum now, you would never know it had happened..

Please stay positive , I know it's hard.

If you want to talk or e mail I would love to send you positive vibes
    Xxxx

Only me xxx
    🙂

Belles
    Participant

Thank you all so much for the wonderful support, it means a lot 🙂

Mum has been moved to a side room, as over the next few days her bloods will drop then they start the injections to release the cells from the marrow on Thursday. She also has a temp, so now on antiobiotics!

We do not know anymore about the black out yet, it may take an MRI scan to answer the questions.

But, considering what she has been through in the last week, she is amazingly chirpy and so strong, makes me very proud.

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Belles x

Helen
    Participant

Hi Belles
    Fingers crossed it was a simple faint that your mum had on top of the stress of the awful chemo and she continues to keep on track now, hard for her with a broken ankle as well, insult to injury.
    Helen

tom
    Participant

Hi Belles

Sorry to hear about your Mum and her faint 🙁

I go to the day ward at my local hospital every four weeks and some folk have a bag or two of chemo during the day and the Nurse has the air con on to very cold :-S and am told its for those having chemo to stop them getting too hot and passing out? so hope it was just a heat thing for your Mum.

Good Luck with it all and hope Mum's ankle is soon better.

Love

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

Belles
    Participant

Hi All

I am very very pleased to say that my Mum came home last Thursday, she is doing soooooo well, to the point that the hospital have said not to go back for a check up for two weeks 🙂

The broken leg is obviously more of a issue at home, but other than that thankfully all the other problems seem to be disappearing.

The last month has been an absolute nightmare, but hopefully now we can look to the future and this will soon be a distant memory.

The most important person in my life is my Mum and all things crossed she will continue on this road.

This forum has been such a great support, I wish you all a very Merry Xmas and a very Happy & Healthy New Year!

Belles x

tom
    Participant

Hi Belles

Pleased to read your Mum is home and Well, the two week rest from hospital must be a god send, yep last month was bad for you all but you showed us all you can cope and now throw it all on the back burner and look forward to Xmas

Love and Hugs to you all ((()))

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Belles

Great news about your Mum. Here's to a good Christmas and New Year.

Best wishes.

Mavis

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Collapsing after chemo prior to SCT’ is closed to new replies.