Constipation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ianbvge 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ianbvge
    Participant

I’m in the early stages of all this, just coming to the end of Cycle 1 of DVT. During week 2 I had bad constipation, eventually (and very uncomfortably) relieved by Senna. Now it’s back again for several days, and the Senna is not up to the task. I’ll discuss this with my haematology consultant when I see him on Monday, but I’m hoping for some bowel action before then.
    Any suggestions for a more potent laxative, over-the-counter (UK) or by prescription? Or any other tactics beyond the obvious increase in fruit’n’fibre. I’m doing my best there, including a nightly shot of prune juice which seemed to help regularity during the more normal phases.
    I’d appreciate any advice from people who’ve had similar experiences.

ianbvge
    Participant

Glycerine suppository. Took its time – three hours, rather than fifteen minutes to an hour – but worked eventually.

taffd
    Participant

Hi Folks,

A subject I deal with on a daily basis. Due to sepsis and removal of my sigmoid colon, followed by a sticture of my bowel, I have a colostomy and need to control the consistency of my output.

I use the osmotic laxative ‘Laxido’. As it’s osmotic, all it does is increase the water content of the bowel and is thus suitable for long term use.

It also works though, in large doses, for severe constipation or faecal compaction.

Hope this helps
    Taff

ianbvge
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve made some notes and will discuss this with my consultant tomorrow. I haven’t heard of this approach before, but it’s not a problem I’m used to having!

mulberry
    Participant

I have chronic constipation as a side effect from Lenalidomide & find it essential to use laxido daily whilst on the drug. Keeping to regular laxido use totally prevents painful and preoccupying problems.

ianbvge
    Participant

Good to hear that. I’ve now got some Laxido in and will start on it tomorrow. I haven’t done it yet because I’ve needed to drive my wife in and out of hospital for an angiogram & angioplasty (all went well!) and didn’t want to risk disrupting a routine which has at the least been pretty predictable. Laxido day tomorrow!

ianbvge
    Participant

I bought a “trial” pack of Laxido and on the advice of the cancer nurses took the dose up to three daily, and things are now much improved. I’ve also got my doctor to put it on my prescription list. So thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.