Covid Booster

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gcoulter 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lilib
    Participant

Hi All,

We are finding all the various bits of information about Covid boosters very confusing. Both my husband and I had our first two Covid vaccinations before the end of April this year. He was diagnosed with MM and started treatment in August. I have been called for my booster, but we were told that he will get something different because … ? not sure. We were also told that he would have another Covid jab in six months time. We are hoping that at that point he may be on the programme for STC.

I read somewhere on this forum that STC resets the immune system so that he would need to start again with the Covid vaccines. If this is the case, why is he going to have a different Covid vaccine to me now?

Any clear explanation would be most welcome!

gcoulter
    Participant

Hi

So for Myeloma patients they get a third shot of the first stage of the vacinne process.

From what I understand this will be a different vacinne from the first one they got earlier this year.

Six months after that they’ll get a booster.

My wife’s went as follows
    Feb Az
    Apr Az
    Oct Pizer

Next April a booster to be confirmed.

I got mine around the same time in Feb and Apr, but will get a booster next month with nothing scheduled after that.

In relation to SCT yes it resets your immune system and your consultant and GP will arrange the appropriate vacinnes a few months after the SCT.

Hope this helps.

Graham

paulapurple
    Participant

Right, because he’s extremely clinically vulnerable he will get a third Primary dose of Pfizer and then in 6 months he will get another booster, however if he’s having a SCT he won’t. He can book the 3rd Primary dose in the normal way but you need to ask when he has it for it to be put down as his third primary dose. I had mine last week along with others that were there for their booster jabs but mine was just called something else.

SCT wipes your system; like wiping a hard drive, so any natural immunity you had to anything is gone. 6 months to a year after SCT you have to have a lot of immunisations, including Covid, all over again.

Hope this helps

Paula

lilib
    Participant

Thank you, both. I will show this to him, so that he can understand your very clear explanations. Graham – that was particularly useful as my husband had AZ in Feb and April (but I had Pfizer).

gcoulter
    Participant

Very similar, I had the Pfizer one too!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.