Covid19 vaccine for myeloma patients

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  iainf365 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

myeloma2016
    Participant

Hello everyone

is there anyone among myeloma patients who got vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine? Please share your experiences.

Thanks

mulberry
    Participant

I had the Astra zeneka vaccine 3 weeks ago. I had no side effects at all, not even a sore arm. My healthy husband had it last week and had flu type symptoms for 36 hours. I have read that it is a sign of a healthy immune system if we do have side effects, but I can’t do anything about my response. The information I’ve seen from Myeloma UK and drs is to have the vaccine.

dickb
    Participant

I’ve also had mine, the first beginning of Jan and the 2nd three weeks later, I felt very tired the next day and a sore arm after the second. I did speak to my Dr beforehand and he said I must absolutely have it.

iainf365
    Participant

I had the Pfizer jab on 10th Feb. No side effects and only felt tenderness in my arm when touched. Hardly knew I’d had it.

myeloma2016
    Participant

hi mulberry
    Can myeloma patient take any type of vaccine? I read somewhere that we can have Pfizer and Moderna vaccine. I don’t know how far its true.
    Can I have vaccine while I’m on maintenance medication therapy (lenalidomide 10 mg)? Please let me know if you have reliable information

Thanks

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I had the Oxford AZ vaccine in mid February. I had a temperature for 36 hours, a mild headache and fatigue for about 3 days. It’s frustrating that there is no real way (yet, that I know of) for measuring the effectiveness of the vaccine in those of us living with Myeloma but it does feel vaguely comforting to have had it. I think it will feel better still after the second dose in early May.

At the time of vaccination, I was not on any active treatment – just Zoledronic Acid infusions – but I had my second SCT in back in July 2020 so my immune system is still trying to find its feet.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my consultant and I’m hoping he will give me guidance on what the end of Shielding might look like i.e. will there be a lot of difference in what it will be safe to do? I am suspecting that summer may be more sociable outdoors and that a more reclusive life will be necessary in the winter until the virus is maybe completely eradicated.

Has anyone else been given any good advice?

Best wishes to all for getting vaccinated,

Rachel

myeloma2016
    Participant

Hi Rachel
    Thanks dor sharing information with us. May i know when you have your first SCT?
    I have mine on 27 August 2020 and now im on maintance medication lenalidomide 10mg.

mulberry
    Participant

I’m on lenalidomide maintenance and had mine, part way through cycle. I’ve seen some US sites recommending one vaccine over another (& they haven’t got Astra zeneka) but the advice I had was to have whatever was offered. I suspect that the evidence isn’t there yet about whether one works better for myeloma patients than the others.

sueharley
    Participant

Hi,

I have had my first dose of Astra Zeneca, 2nd dose is today. Had no side effects from the first dose so not sure what that means, I think I would have felt like it had done something if I had felt some effect. I am hoping to get my blood tested for anti bodies next week, which would reassure me if I did have some (although not having any apparently doesn’t mean it hasn’t worked). I am currently on Daratumumab and Dex.

Sue

marty2019
    Participant

I had my first AstraZeneca inoculation last Wednesday (28th April). So far I have not experienced any negative side effects.

mulberry
    Participant

I had my second vaccine 2 weeks ago, again no side effects, not even a sore arm. Worried about whether the vaccine will therefore have had no effect, I asked my consultant about having an antibody test. He said that it is expected that all myeloma patients who have had the vaccines will have a certain level of antibodies. However the level of antibodies required to protect us against infection is not yet known, so having an antibody test at the moment could well give myeloma patients a false sense of security. This information is not likely to become available for a few months.

iainf365
    Participant

I too had my second vaccine three weeks ago with no ill effects. I’m pretty sure that this bears no relation to its effectiveness. Remember some people are asymptomatic anyway. I’m actually part of a study that is comparing bloods pre vaccine and post vaccine. I’m just waiting for word to go for my follow-up test.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.