CURCUMIN

This topic contains 41 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Harmony 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

stanley-1960
    Participant

Hi Phil,

For the last 5 months i have taken 2 x 1000mg per day of double strength curcumin. Each tablet contains 950mg of curcumin and 5mg of bioprene. I have been thinking of upping the dose to 4 x 1000mg per day. The cost is the best i have found on the net. I just paid for 4 bottles @ 180 tablets  per bottle for £18.99 each. If i took 2 per day that would last a year for a total cost of £76. As far of benefits are concerned i have had no infections or sore throats since SCT no adverse effects and i feel it has benefitted my digestive system. As far as anti myeloma is concerned i have not got a clue like everyone else. The dosage was based on the maximum 8g(you did mean 8g and not 8mg Phil) that is mentioned on various forums although i think its particularly difficult to overdose on it.

Best regards,

Stanley

phil47
    Participant

Hi Stanley,
    Thanks for prompt reply. Yes I did mean 8g per day!
    Regards
    Phil

stroxtonmart
    Participant

I had my SCT last December and am not on any maintenance program. I take curcumin as a result of investigation (by my husband) starting with the paper  “Curcumin induces cell death of the main molecular myeloma subtypes, particularly the poor prognosis subgroups” and am feeling good so far and still “all clear”.  It is a very complex subject.

Harmony
    Participant

Hi, I’m smouldering and have taken turmeric capsules twice daily for the past year (800mg) because my motto is that if it’s not doing any harm, why not give it a try. Here’s my daily regime):
    2 capsules of turmeric,
    2 tbsp of aloe vera
    3 cups of green tea
    small amount of linseed with breakfast
    Kale with dinner
    selenium every other day.
    I’m aware that in reality, this might not be making a damn bit of difference -but it makes me feel good and as if I’m doing something. Have had the disease for over 2 years and have maintained stability – pp levels 20, 21, 22, 23,22, 22.

jeff605
    Participant

I took curcumin for many months while smouldering. When my wife died I sort of went to pieces and stopped several things, such as buying newspapers, watching Tv, and also taking curcumin. Within 2 months my Myeloma became active and I started chemotherapy. Coincidence? Who knows. Jeff

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi all, almost 2 years post SCT and I have not yet taken circumin but would like to start now. Can I anyone tell me exactly the type they get and the website to save me looking at all different stuff etc to come to the same conclusion please?
    Christine, I applaud your regime and whilst I used to juice etc I have gradually done nothing to assist my diet/Immune system.I have low vit D levels and whilst I have bought the tablets very rarely bother to take them but feel I should be a bit more proactive with my health once more. I never began with the circumin because someone I listened to told me it had little effect on certain chromosomal disorders but can’t find any research to support this now. Any pointers would be helpful as it’s my pre New Year resolution.
    Thanks, Rebecca

Rebecca

stanley-1960
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,

The key to taking curcumin  is how do you get it to absorb into the body. When selecting a product Bioprene ( a black pepper derivative) aids in the process. Otherwise you need to take it with pepper, pineapple or papaya. I have looked on the net and found Pureclinica the best value for my needs. I originally bought one bottle to try and had no ill effects so then bought a batch of 4. It does contain magnesium stearate (a binding agent) that gets mixed reviews but i believe its used in most tablets. Dr’s Best gets good reviews but has the same ingredients as Pureclinica’s the difference being 120x1000mg @ £43.94 and 180x1000mg @ £18.99 respectively i’ll let you do the maths. The pureclinica is manufactured in the uk with the only allergen information stating that it is made in a facility that processes milk,soya,egg proteins,glutens and peanuts.

This is a recent article associated with different subgroups/chromosomal disorders.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/ref/10.4161/15384047.2014.986997

I hope you are well and still knocking a few over the net.

All the best

Stanley

rebeccaR
    Participant

Thanks for that, yes it is less sensitive to my translocations but will throw my hat in the ring as nothing to lose. Am still ok but can’t shake off a cold I’ve had for 3 weeks and played 3 1/2 hrs tennis today but been told by the coach that I’ve got to stop playing now until next week and recover as my tiredness is affecting my performance. All sounds very normal and I have been trying to play through it but – when you put your myeloma hat on does it all start looking at a dodgy stage? I am ashamed to say that instead of my 2 1/2 days on easy hours I have recently increased them to now 3 long 10 hr days which makes me tired and grumpy as well. Have been very lax with everything so going back to the drawing board and taking some vits, relinquishing my extra hours and hopefully my January bloods will still be ok – but what worrys me is if they are not will I be plagued with the fact that I increased hours (albeit temporarily etc?). Ah well such is the mm bubble…gonna just prick it now! Hope you have never looked back on your retirement. Thanks

Rebecca

phil47
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,
    I currently take AlphaCurcumin Plus from The Really Healthy Company who are a UK company. See my posting from 12 Sep as to as to the reasons for choosing those but it is a minefield! I did say in that that it “contained” BCM-95 but I now realise that is the “type” of Curcumin – also referred to as Biocurcumin or Curcumax I think.
    Phil

stroxtonmart
    Participant

The best introduction I have found is

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/11

The cell apoptosis described in the paper 17th Nov kicks in at 20uM and the highest range tested in above paper are 20ng/ml.  Ohh for standard units! I get 20ng/ml to be 80uM.

My conclusions were that for apoptosis 100 mg must be dissolved in the blood and a reasonable “maintenance” was 20mg dissolved.  I much prefer the concept of hydrophilic solid dispersion so make pills from 20mg of pure curcumin with 150mg of polyvinylpyrollidone, much along lines of above mentioned paper.  I do the same with green tea and milk thistle extract using 20mg of each as there are many papers indicating a synergy with the three.

polly
    Participant

Hi everyone not been on hear for a while and just looking through your very interesting posts on what we all take to try to prolong our remission I personally take Pomi-t each day which contains four super foods squeezed into a capsule to boost my daily polyphenols which has been a government backed and scientifically tested in a national UK study, the supplement capsules contain Broccoli, Turmeric, Pomegranate and Green Tea which some of you have mentioned in your posts I also like to put cinnamon powder on my cereal.

Rebecca have you tried Honey and lemon drinks as and when you need it for that cold you have, Honey must be plus ten as I believe it becomes more madicinal and a natural antibiotic that the body never gets use to, anyway hope my input helps.

Stay strong stay well.

Harmony
    Participant

Hi,
    It’s interesting to read that you all get your curcumin online. I buy Nature’s Garden turmeric from holland and barrett. Is there any reason why you avoid their one?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘CURCUMIN’ is closed to new replies.