Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Week

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  brocho 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

brocho
    Participant

Hi everyone as some of you may know my daughter has Cystic Fibrosis and this week is their awareness week so please help if you can or grab a leaflet or poster if you are offered Cystic Fibrosis is the most common genetically inherited disease in this country , 1 in 24 of us are carriers. It affects not only the lungs but also digestive systems , liver and now they are living longer their bones When my daughter was born the life expectancy was less than 16 years , most died long before that but thanks to The Cystic Fibrosis Trust in raising funds for research and general awreness and the devotion of medical professionals life expectancy is now well into the 30s!!My daughter is 26 now and I am so very proud of her CF is ahorrible illness to live with, lots of hospital admissions but until this year she has worked and played hard in fact she lives her life weith joy , except when hungover of course haha Thankyou for reading this love Bridget x

jmsmyth
    Participant

Yes Bridget CF is a horrible disease. 30 years ago, our friends son died of it at age 16. They are still very much involved in CF (fund raising etc) and tell us of the great progress that has been made.

Tell your daughter that the best cure for hang over is the "hair of the dog". (that's my excuse)

My best wishes
    JEan xx

Min
    Participant

HiBridget
    I know nothing about cystic fibrosis except a friend who has a very good friend who has had a transplant, he took her to London for a short break and it was the 1st time she had been that far away from her hospital. He said he was terrified for her. So I cant imagine how your life has been. But sounds as if your daughter lives life to the full and good on her.
    Luv Min

jodiefaulkner
    Participant

Hi,
    i am a student at Great Yarmouth College studying Life Sciences as part of my diploma. I am in my 2nd semester, during which i have a mandatory research project to complete. I have chosen Cystic Fibrosis as it has strong connections with my desired career pathway of physiotherapy. I have chosen to target paediatric CF patients, as i feel this is when physiotherapy treatment is proving most beneficial in aiding parents/carers with treatment and combatting the effects of this disease.
    From this survey i wish to find out if you as parents/carers feels confident in providing physiotherapy treatments and in recognising symptoms of CF, as recommended by the NHS. I also aim to find out if parents/carers have sought any alternative treatments not provided by the NHS. If you are living in the UK and are willing to participate in my survey please could you email 83896@gyc.ac.uk
    All emails addresses will be deleted after i have sent you my questionaire which only consists of 6 questions.
    Thank you.

jodiefaulkner
    Participant

Hi,
    i am a student at Great Yarmouth College studying Life Sciences as part of my diploma. I am in my 2nd semester, during which i have a mandatory research project to complete. I have chosen Cystic Fibrosis as it has strong connections with my desired career pathway of physiotherapy. I have chosen to target paediatric CF patients, as i feel this is when physiotherapy treatment is proving most beneficial in aiding parents/carers with treatment and combatting the effects of this disease.
    From this survey i wish to find out if you as parents/carers feels confident in providing physiotherapy treatments and in recognising symptoms of CF, as recommended by the NHS. I also aim to find out if parents/carers have sought any alternative treatments not provided by the NHS. If you are living in the UK and are willing to participate in my survey please could you email 83896@gyc.ac.uk
    All emails addresses will be deleted after i have sent you my questionaire which only consists of 6 questions.
    Thank you.

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Bridget

How like you to be focussung on others when you have so much to cope with -including supporting yur own daughter. I do have to say I didn't see anything in our local paper about CF Week, but do hope it has been generally successful.

Your daughter has obviously inherited your inner strength.

How is your grandson? MY two arrive on Wednesday to stay till Sunday. We are really looking forward to it, but praying for some fine days as our bungalow is very small when two very active children are running around!!!!!

Much love to you all.

Mavis xxxxx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Bridget

Put it down to a senior moment!!!!! I just read the date on your post. I'm sure there have been some later ones in this category. Wonder what happened to them?

Still, good wishes anyway!

MAVIS XXX

brocho
    Participant

Hi Mavis you arent alone in having senior moments I have them all the time!! My grandson is 11 and at the moment he tries to appear like a cool teenager half the time , the other half he is the little boy who takes teddies to bed!! Bless him They are under so much pressure to grow up quickly these days its such a shame they cant keep their innocence for a bit longer . I bet your grandchildren are excited too. Having grandchildren makes all the hard work of being a parent worthwhile Have a wonderful time love Bridget x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Week’ is closed to new replies.