Dad's Treatment

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  char_cookx 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

char_cookx
    Participant

Hi,

My Dad was diagnosed with MM last year at the end of August but also had Kidney Failure due, he was treated for this and had dialysis for a while but yesterday after a couple of weeks of pain and feeling unwell has had to be re-admitted to hospital as his light change level has gone back up quite considerably and his kidney function has gone down from 25% to now under 10%, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation? I haven’t seen too much about anyone else having Kidney Failure and wanted to know if it is a common thing that happens or if this is out of the ordinary? He is 62 and was fit and healthy prior to this, it was only a year previous to this he stopped doing Motor Sports (Banger Racing) so he has always kept a fairly healthy lifestyle and this really has hit him like a brick wall!

Thank you in advance for any help x

mulberry
    Participant

Hi Char Cook It’s not unusual for myeloma to affect the kidneys. Renal damage is one of the key symptoms, along with bone damage, high calcium and/or anaemia.
    Your dad’s kidney issues are more severe than mine were (are) but I’ve seen a number of myeloma patients say that they needed dialysis until their myeloma was got under control. Some of those have been alive for over a decade since they were diagnosed. Your dad’s age and previous good health will really help him. Im not medically qualified but I suspect that he will need a different myeloma treatment, that the one he has been on has stopped working. This is not what any of us want to hear, but it isn’t unusual. There are a number of different drugs, some of which work in different ways, and hopefully one, or a combination of these, will get his light chains down again, and his kidneys will start working reasonably again. Its a very stressful situation for you all to be in, but his team will have encountered this problem before.

char_cookx
    Participant

Hi, thank you for replying! That is really helpful and useful to know. I guess it is such a worry because you always think what if there is not another treatment available, I always try to be as positive as I can for him but sometimes it can be difficult. He had quite a traumatic diagnosis with all of this so it all came as a massive shock, my Dad being my Dad he just wants to go back to work as he hates being at home and gets bored so quickly. He is currently in hospital and I guess we will find out more as time goes on regarding his treatment plan, he was doing so well with it all – he came off dialysis and stopped chemo but then found he was almost left with no check ups regularly and now here we are, almost feels as though he has taken 2 steps forward and 10 back. He does seem to have a lot of side problems with all of this as he had Pneumonia in December and has had 2 Pulmonary Embolism’s since that, one that is within the last few weeks that he has been in an awful amount of pain but as your probably know they are limited to what pain medication they can give him. Thank you again for your response, I only found this whole page today and it has been more helpful today then I have found most things in the last however many months!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.