Daratumumab at first relapse

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gcoulter 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

helenpageuk
    Participant

Hi all,

After hearing the news that my Mums Myeloma had relapsed she is currently being treated with Daratumumab along with velcade and Dex.
    As the treatment Has proven very effective she was sent to try and harvest more stem cells for a second transplant.
    Sadly we heard today that she didn’t manage to harvest any mear enough cells and so she has been put back on the Dara routine.
    With this only likely to be effective for a couple of years, I wonder if anyone can offer advice on any other treatment options that might be available?
    Any advice or reassurance would be so appreciated

Thank you to you all

gcoulter
    Participant

Hi

Dara seems to be very effective (accepting everyone is different of course).
    You also need to consider that a 2nd stem is unlikely to be as effective as the first and staying on dara could be just as effective.
    We’ve had an initial discussion about a 2nd stem cell with the consultant, they’ve said we need to weigh up the risk associated with the stem cell with the benefit of a treatment free period vs ongoing monthly hospital visits.
    The consultant was surprised my wife was considering a 2nd stem cell, as many patients don’t want to go through it again and opt for maintenance.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that there are other similar drugs to Dara coming along. We were surprised treatment started earlier than the first time but were told that’s because there are now more treatment options available to enable them to get on top of it.

If you’re not already on the Myeloma private facebook group I’d encourage you to join. I’ve recently joined and can’t get over how active it is. A couple of articles were shared this week on new treatments which may help.

Graham

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.