dental care

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  amanda 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

robbojnn
    Participant

hi just wondering/worrying about cost of dental care.

since sct a lot of my teeth are loose,i’ve been told this is a common problem (receding gums).

because of  this i had an infection last week very painful and was given course of antibiotics by  dentist and referred to have it pulled.

2 questions, if i’m honest the pain has gone great so whats the point in me having tooth out it isnt bad. plus pretty much all my teeth on lower jaw are loose so nobodys gonna pull them all cause of that. my worry is that with teeth being loose no matter how much i brush them theres always risk of a miniscule bit of food causing an infection. i cant afford dental costs (just short of £20 to be seen etc) especially when this is going to be  a repetetive cycle.

obviously i dont pay for prescriptions , i get esa and i get pip but had to argue with dental receptionist about me being exempt. Discussion finished with her telling me rather rudely and loudly that if  i wasn’t exempt  which she didn’t feel that i was then i would be fined up to £200.  Last thing i wanted was being talked down to llike that in front of whole waiting area.

anyway could anyone throw some light on this matter  surely with all the known problems myeloma and chemo causes bone/dental wise we cant be expected to foot the bill

Kazzam2
    Participant

Hi robbojnn,

I like you have been having endless problems with my teeth and gums since my sct, though you sound to have worse, I know I am on my way, they get worse by the day. I too get a bit of esa, but be careful what box you tick, I ticked the box (it is very confusing), my dentist gave me a deep cllean and waivered (sp) the cost (approx £50, for check up and clean), this was back in February. A few weeks later, I got a fine of £100! plus the outstanding £50 for treatment!! This was very upsetting as I intended NO fraud. I went to the Citizens Advice and they appealed on my behalf, on the grounds that I found the form misleading etc. I won the appeal but had to pay the £50 for treatment. The lady at CAB said myeloma patients’s should get free or help with dentist care, but it seems we do not!! (Given that the treatment for myeloma ruins teeth and gums, Zometta does not help either!

I had a check up 2 weeks ago, as she sees me every 3 months, I told my dentist about the fine, and she said she did not realise either that there was 2 types of ESA! So be very careful about that box.

It is appalling that we do not get help with dental costs, it needs somehow highlighting. I will mention to my consultant on my next clinic.

Good luck with your teeth and battle, take care

Karen x

robbojnn
    Participant

thanks karen and good luck to you

amanda
    Participant

Has anyone in the forum read about the new drug DTP3 which is to help Myeloma patients.  Would be interest to hear your verdicts on the findings of this amazing news.  Amanda.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘dental care’ is closed to new replies.