Duration of first course of treatment

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  normant 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

normant
    Participant

I have just completed seven 4-week cycles of daxamethasone, cyclophosphamide and thalidomide treatment for myeloma. When I asked my consultant when my treatment would finish he told me after 12 cycles. At my first consultation I was given a book on Myeloma by Blood Cancer UK which says that one course of treatment can include four to six cycles. When I quoted this to my consultant today he didn’t accept what I said. I told him that I would check. Since coming home I have checked the book and the MyelomaUK website and both agree that four to six cycles are normal.
    I’ll be interested to know how common it is for the first course of treatment (induction therapy) to last a year.

kevin
    Participant

Hello
    I was diagnosed back in 2006. Cant remember the exact details but had a course of CDT over about 6 months followed by a SCT. This gave me full remission. After relapse in 2012 I asked to have CDT again with my consultant agreeing saying if it didn’t work there were other options. Again think it was over a period of about 6 months followed by another SCT again getting a full remission. This again lasted about 4 1/2 years. Just to say though I believe if there are struggles with side effects you can have a break during the treatment, spreading it over a longer period. I believe I had a short break during my second treatment. My next treatment was then carfilzomib which also gave me full remission which is were I am at the moment.
    Best wishes
    Kevin

mulberry
    Participant

Hi Normant
    The critical question seems to me to be whether or not you & your doctor are heading towards stem cell transplant. If patients are intending on having SCT they normally do only have 4-6 cycles as you suggest, although the aim is to reduce the myeloma burden as far as possible so sometimes additional cycles are given if the myeloma level is still reducing significantly ( ie paraprotein or light chain level is still reducing). However if you are not heading for SCT for whatever reason, the plan may be for you to continue on VTD treatment long term to keep your myeloma at bay. Perhaps you need to have a discussion with your doctor about what the best plan is for you. I hope whatever that is, that your myeloma is getting under control.

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hello Normant

Sorry to hear that you have myeloma and that you have concerns about your treatment. Happy to share my experience which may help.

CTD seems to be a well established first line treatment and you would expect this to be a well trodden path for haematology consultants. I would suggest that care is needed in comparing different treatment regimes since the drug doses can vary ( eg CTD-attenauated ) and with and without treatment breaks, which probably make at least half a dozen different combinations.

I was diagnosed in 2013 aged 59 and had CTD for six cycles of three weeks each continuously ie no breaks. Cyclophosamide dose was 50mg. 10 for 3 days each week, dexamethasone 20 for each of 4 days per week and Thalidomide 50mg 2 each day. My paraproteins started at 55 and reduced to 2.5 at the end of treatment, then went on to have a stem cell transplant.

I have to say that at by the end of 126 days of CTD I was suffering with quite a few side effects and was more than glad to stop. It was a slog so quite surprised that you mention the possibility of 12 cycles.

I had a good period of remission, but relapsed in 2019, 2nd line treatment of DVD and now doing well with good quality of life.

Hope this helps.

David

normant
    Participant

Thank you all for your replies which are all very helpful. Thank you also for your good wishes
    Here is some more information about my particular situation. I am 75 years old and, until February 2021, I was active, fit and healthy and on no medication at all. I think that the discovery of myeloma came about by an unusual route. I had none of the usual CRAB symptoms but had an intense and persistent pain in my right thigh which was so bad that I needed a wheelchair. An MRI scan revealed that a growth on my L4 vertebra was compressing the nerves in the spinal cord. What I was experiencing as leg pain was referred from this compression. Within a few days I had an operation to remove the growth and the pain disappeared. The growth was analysed and proved to be myeloma and this was confirmed by a bone marrow extract.
    I am told by my consultant that blood tests show that my paraprotein levels are consistently low and that they aren’t any help in monitoring progress. My own research tells me that this is typical of oligosecretaory myeloma. which is a rare form. I’m coming to the conclusion that the risk of myeloma to me is much more from bone damage than from a cmpromised immune system. But, of course, my immune system is being compromised by chemotherapy. So that’s all the more reason for not prolonging it unnecessarily.
    I have asked whether a stem cell transplant is on the cards for me, but apparently not. I guess that I’m deemed to be too old.
    I have also asked about the possibility of a break in my treatment but the cnsultant says that would only happen if the treatment was cuasing me physical harm and not merely discomfort.
    I had an MRI scan just before my treatment started and another at the end of my sixth cycle, and, without being specific, my consultant told me that the result showed signs that the treatment was working. But these scans are six months apart so it’s not clear whether the benefit was gained early on in the treatment or whether it is continuing. My next MRI scan will be at the end of my 12th cycle. Clearly, I don’t want to stop treatment that is benefitting me, but we seem to be working blind. And, from what I have found out so far, the duration of my treatment is planned to take twice as long as what Blood Cancer UK and MyelomaUK say is typical.

As you may have gathered, my consultant is not very forthcoming with details and explanations. It’s taken me six months to work it out but it seems that I need to be armed with very specific questions and requests. And I’ve found that it’s best to email them in advance of the consultation. Otherwise I get vague and non-committal replies.

Thank you again for your replies and best wishes to you all

Norman

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.