embossed coffins

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

Yes, eve I did know about the embossed coffins. But I thought the cost was prohibitive £400 for a standard coffin and between £800 and £1000 with pictures on it. Mine has cost me £15 so far. I am a tight old bu==er and do not see why Mo should have to pay a fortune to get me into the ground, money she could be spending on a good holiday 😉

I am saving over £200 by not having a hearse ? they will pre position my coffin in the lobby of the chapel and my friends and family will walk past it. I have designed labels (think of an old fashioned trunk with place labels stuck on it ? that is the sort) these labels will be for every place I have been on this earth and that is quite a few. They have space on them for people to write a message and they can then stick them on the coffin. It should look like a well travelled trunk by the time they finish – which is appropriate I think >:-) The idea is that my family will then carry the coffin to the front for my service.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

tom
    Participant

How is the Coffin going David? I was looking at the photo's you posted the other nite.

Well done on the saving Money lark Ha ha, but am sure it will be years before its needed 🙂

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" x

Min
    Participant

Oh David you made me laugh. Just the kind of thing I wold do if I was able but woodwork and me dont get on.
    But i read recently about ?Renting a coffin?
    Yes you read correctly. Its a hire thing and if your plan is for cremation you hire the coffin up to the point where it goes in the furnace!!! Makes perfect sense to me.
    Alternativley I like the idea of a cardboard one. Could decorate it anyway you wish. I like your idea of ?postcards? very unique.
    Have you been watching that show about funerals on BBC its fascinating in a morbid kind of way. The lady with the motor bike funeral and Blue Knights was fascinating.
    You could get some good ideas for yours from it !!!!!! Please dont be offended as non is meant
    MIn

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Tom & Min, It is in bits in my workshop at the moment Tom but I am going to start final assembly soon. I am not in any rush because I feel great at the moment, I have my 3 month Myeloma appointment this Friday. My Son and Daughter are finalising the pictures we are going to put on the coffin, we have selected 6 at the moment and need two more.

No, I must have missed that programme when was it on? I would never take offence Min everything you say is always said with the very best of intentions.

David

Tina
    Participant

Hi Toma,

Have you decided what you are going to wear? You got me thinking about this same conversation I had with Patrick before he died. He said "just wrap me in an old sheet" I replied " when you arrive at the pearly gates wearing what looks like a toga you might be a tad under-dressed!" we thought this was very funny.
    I love your labels idea.

Tina

tom
    Participant

Hi all

Am sure you jave no rush to be using it David Lol but the postcard bit those that cant attend could send a postcard that is stuck on and you can read it at the other sided (pearly Gate End) 😎

Now this rent thing I just might google that tonight 😛

Tom (not ready Yet) "Onwards and Upwards" x

Min
    Participant

Hi David its called a Dead good job. On Wednesday evenings BBC2 Catch it on I player its weekly series
    Min

Perkymite
    Participant

My instructions to my wife Tina are:

I will be dressed in a very colourful silk shirt that my daughter bought me some years ago. I feel really comfortable in it.

I am vertically challenged, ok I am a short guy 5ft 7 1/2 inches, well now I am considered short but in my youth I was average height which was 5?7?, but there you go. I like short shorts, used to be tennis shorts, my wife insists I wear the latest fashion ¾ length trousers etc?.. I am going to be buried in my favourite cut off jeans and they are short!

Lastly I am wearing white socks with sandals, I want St Peter at the Pearly Gates to understand I am an English man and bl==dy proud of it. Ok my paternal granmother and paternal great granmother were Scot but I am sure he will forgive me!

David

Tina
    Participant

Well there will be no mistaking you! So good that you have had the conversation with your wife – I think she may be right about the short shorts though:0)
    I sent a smiley photograph and a short story about my husband with him to the undertakers so that they could meet the man he used to be. They contacted me expressing what a good idea they thought it was.

Tina

Perkymite
    Participant

Sorry Tina, just joking about the shorts and sandals etc… Although I will be using the Shirt my Daughter bought for me.

My wife and I talk generally about the funeral arrangements but she does not like to get into the nitty gritty which my Son/Daughter will handle.

However building my own coffin has opened up everybody?s minds to what is ahead not only for me but for them. My daughter recently said to me that it had made her and her husband stop and think about the future. It has also, and this is the important thing, been the source of a great deal of fun, laughter, banter and jokes in my family.

Kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘embossed coffins’ is closed to new replies.