End stage

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

angeline
    Participant

My dad has mm first diagnosed 5 years ago he’s had 3 lots of chemo and last sept was told no more treatment then 5 weeks ago we were told no more blood transfusions and that he only had weeks to live  how long can he keep going like this  (confused )

dickb
    Participant

Hi,

Rally sorry to hear about your dad, no matter what people say it can’t take away the way you feel and the despair that such news bring. However, for your question, it is hard to give an answer, it really is about the individual person – how much fight they have in them. I’m sorry I can’t be more specific but there is no specific answer.

eve
    Participant

Hi Angeline

I have to ask how long is a piece of string!!!instead of thinking how long will it last,think how long you are going to have your Dad.

People choose there own time and own way to die,embrace it and do all you can,it might sound a bit old fashioned ,these days we hide it away,in hospitals homes or hospice,I am not knocking it,it should be the patients choice.

I am in the same position as you,my husband has been on palliative care for seven weeks,people telling me it will not be long!!! I just think you do not know my husbands will to live,and I would not have it any different,it’s not a bother,it’s a wonderful experience,no tears or sadness,lots of help carers in 4 times a day,now have night sitters,district nurse every day,and lots of love and care from me and are daughters,a man could not ask for more care so embrace it.Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Eve, I loved your post. Not unexpected from such a strong person as yourself.

My family know of my wishes when I die. I am at the moment discussing my funeral service with my local vicar. I want to make it an opportunity to ask people to help each other. My granddaughter will read the parable of the Good Samaritan for example.

I will never win the lottery but I have been lucky in life itself. And as I face death my only regret is that I wanted to nurse my wife when she faces death and that will not be the case.

We enjoy every moment we can and we are well supported by our children and friends we are truly lucky.

However, can I assure you that I intend to live as long as I can – the fight goes on!!!!

Kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘End stage’ is closed to new replies.