Femoral Nail

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tinkerbell 13 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

tinkerbell
    Participant

Hi all,
    I had pain in my left leg mid November and following an MRI a lesion has been discovered which leaves my leg at high risk of fracture. Tomorrow morning I will be fingers crossed having a femoral nail placed in my leg. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this done and what there recovery was like as the hospital have given me two very different versions (one from a doctor and one from a nurse).
    Many thanks
    Pamela

Gaye
    Participant

Dear Pamela – no I have never heard of this procedure before although my great newphew who is 14 has been having operations on his leg since he was 6 and he has had many screws and other metals in his time. I feel sure that your femeral nail will be a better option than the near certainty of your leg breaking in the future. Myeloma never fails to bring out new areas for attention and no wonder it is such an individual illness to treat.

Will be thinking of you. I hope the operation won't interrupt your Panto season as Tinkerbell – although this time with a crutch! I just love the name …………
    Love, Gaye xx

Min
    Participant

Hi Pamela
    Im afraid I don't know either but I googles it and it would seam to be a 'splint' though obviously more complex, that sits inside the bone in the space that the bone marrow usually occupies.
    It looks really interesting. sorry if that sounds sick.
    Have a look at this link. I may be absolutely wrong on this and I know it not good to go surfing but could not resist it. It looks like its done with keyhole surgery too …..
    MIn
    http://www.rcsed.ac.uk/fellows/lvanrensburg/classification/surgtech/stryker/manuals/t2-femur%20102005.pdf

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Pamela, (As I typed your name I found myself pronouncing it a la 'Smithy', from the BBC's 'Gavin and Stacey', – 'Pam – El – Ah). 🙂

I haven't really looked into it yet (I either like surprises or I'm a fatalist… 'I'll deal with it when it arises') but I too have been told that I will need 'pins' – one in my upper left arm and one in each of my upper and lower right arm; plus one (apparently the 'important' one) in my left femur.

So while I can't help you with your inquiry I will follow the responses here and any future development with regard to your 'nail' with great interest. :-/

That's one small comfort with this blooming disease – you can be guaranteed the answer of 'No, it is not!' to the question, 'I thought it might only be me'. :-S

Good luck with your inquiries, your procedure and your recovery – I would be grateful for any reports of your progress.:-)

Regards

Dai.

tinkerbell
    Participant

Thanks for the responses, my husband has followed the link that you posted Mini and enjoyed reading it's content I'm going to wait until tomorrow as on arrival at hospital they decided to nail both femurs. There is a risk of the right one fracturing and they felt that it was best to get it all done now but I think the risk of infection tracking from one leg to the other is too high so they do them separately. Anyway left leg done on Thursday and can manage to hobble around on crutches so hopefully the recovery for the other one will go just as well and I'll be home for Christmas Eve. I have three lovely sets of sutures down the outside of my leg and there is discomfort now in my knee and along the bone especially at night. Had morphine infusion for two days following the procedure as well as IV paracetomol and although uncomfortable it was certainly bearable I think I had more discomfort following my two C sections. Will keep you up to date on how it feels to have both legs nailed.

Pamela x

brocho
    Participant

Hi Pamela I hope you are feeling a little more comfortable now and are enjoying being looked after Just a thought but have you considered doing panto –Long John Silver would be a piece of cake for you !!Sorry cant help being flippant sometimes Have a wonderful xmas love Bridget x

tinkerbell
    Participant

Glad to see that you're sense of humour hasn't been affected Bridget! If you heard my singing voice you'd know that I wouldn't be very enertaining. Glad to report that both femurs are now successfully nailed and I've managed to get up on my feet and hopefully will be going home tomorrow after being disappointed as had hoped to get discharged today. Lying in bed at the minute watching TV and waiting for someone to bring my dinner, been to see the OT to sort out aids to help while I recover and hopefully no more snow tonight so that getting out of here tomorrow isn't hampered. Hope you are all well and getting ready to enjoy your festivities. Pamelax

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Femoral Nail’ is closed to new replies.