Flu Jab

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  steverobinson 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

willjames2
    Participant

Hi Folks,

This may have been covered before and if so apologies however I just wondered if anyone had ever had any negative effects from the Flu Jab? I have not had one before and I know the website recommends it however I feel well at the moment and don't fancy potentially making myself feel ill for a few days by having the Flu Jab.

I know it's not a 'live' virus that is used however when I have spoken to people I know they have been quite rough for a few days after.

Any of your personal experiences of this would be helpful or I am worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Michele
    Participant

Hi Scott
    When I had my first flu jab 2 years ago I was still on CTD treatment and felt very unwell for about a week afterwards.
    However, the one I had last year and the one I had last month were absolutely fine with only a sore arm for a couple of days.

Definitely worth having one though. My husband has them too just to be on the safe side.

Michele

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Scott

Frank and I have had flu jabs every year for the past 7 years (since Frank was diagnosed) and thank God meither of us has had any side affects. Frank had SCT in March and flu jab September and all ok.

Best wishes
    Jean

willjames2
    Participant

Hi Michelle,

I am halfway through my 4th cycle of CTD at the moment. I have been lucky so far and not really suffered any major side effects from the treatment however this last couple of days I have felt ill and have been physically sick too for the first time since I started treatment.

My Wife and I are booked in with the GP for Friday morning however I don't fancy making myself much worse at the moment although I know really I should have it.

I think I'll wait. My 4th cycle finishes at the end of the month and then I won't have any Chemo in December and then I'll receive the high dose chemo in Hospital when I have my SCT in January.

My Wife will go tommorow as planned and I think I'll book myself in with the GP during December when I have finished my CTD and hopefully I won't be too bad.

Thanks

Scott

willjames2
    Participant

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply. I think it differs from person to person and you and Frank have been ok with it which is great. Michelle seems to have been ill with it during her treatment on CTD so just in case, I'm going to wait until my CTD is finished and book myself in to have in early December. Hopefully then subsequent annual flu jabs won't be as bad.

Cheers

Scott

Carolsymons
    Participant

Hi Scott

I don't like to worry you but…..cycle 5 and 6 of CDT were the worst for me…I was really ill. I am so pleased to be finished with the drugs for now. App't next week at Hammersmith to discuss SCT……..and more drugs!

Carol

dickb
    Participant

bumped

Ang287
    Participant

Hi Scott
    My husband Graham has just finished 6 months of Myeloma XI trial drugs VCD and has done really well with very little side effects apart from irritability. He was last week transferred to Manchester Royal Infirmary for the next stage of treatment (SCT) and he is due there next week 27th November. At his last appointment at our local hospital I asked about the flu jab and his haematologist said he should have this so we will mention it when we go to MRI next week.
    He has now been off treatment for a week and now is just complaining of his back pain and he is sleeping quite a lot but still managing to work 5 half days a week and do the rest of his work (lesson planning and marking) at home. Due to Graham's back pain he slept in a reclining chair from January to August but after a few days in Edinburgh in August he got used to lying flat again and then started to sleep in bed again.
    I read your post from when you were diagnosed and I see that you also had the horrendous spasms. I witnessed Graham having them and I could see how painful they were. He also on occasions had problems breathing but this didn't seem to worry his physio at all!
    I see you are also under Dr Gibbs. Graham is having his stem cells harvested on 10th December and we are hoping that he gets in to have his SCT Christmas week. By then he would have finished teaching for Christmas and we will put Christmas on hold this year. I just want him to have the SCT ASAP so that he has less chance to catch infections/colds etc but we will have to see what they say at Manchester Royal Infirmary.
    Good luck with your treatment and lets hope you will both be in remission early next year. Do you have any idea yet when you will be having yours?
    Best wishes
    Angela

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Angela

My husband had SCT in March this year. His consultant told him that he would have to have all vaccinations (childhood ones) again. She led us to believe that with the SCT it took his protection away. He started them about 4 weeks ago (including flue) and from what I gather they will go on for two years. Maybe like everything else – different consultants- different ideas. Just thought I would mention it

Love Jean x

willjames2
    Participant

Hi Angela,

I received a letter recently from Manchester Royal with an itinerary of dates leading up to my SCT. I'm in for Bone Marrow Biopsy, Consent and Medical Review on 4th December and then back on the 30th December for Virology Blood Test. I'm then in for Cyclo Chemo 6th January, Blood Test on 13th January and then Stem Cell collection between 14th – 16th January.

I'm unsure though at the moment if this happens has an outpatient and then I go into Hospital or if it's part of the Hospital treatment. The way the letter reads it lists dates and times to be at the Day Unit, so I'm assuming I maybe stay in once they have collected my Stem Cells. I need to clarify with them when I return on the 4th December.

i know Dr Gibbs was trying to get me in before Xmas however they were struggling for time to fit it all in so it looks like I'll get a break from the the Meds over Xmas and straight back into treatment in the New Year.

My back is much better now and although far from 100% it's a world away from the pain I experienced at first. I still sleep slightly upright with my legs slightly raised which I find most comfortable however I have slept upstairs on occasion in our bed. However because I'm lie flatter this way my back does tend to ache a little. I'm trying to ease myself lower each week in my adjustable bed to the point where I'm nearly flat and hopefully then in a few weeks I'll be back in bed.

Hope everything goes well for Graham with his SCT.

Best wishes

Scott

Ang287
    Participant

Hi Scott
    It looks like you are not far behind Graham. He goes next week for consent form to be signed and final questions answered. He then goes for chemo for the day on 2nd December and then takes home a week's worth of injections which will boost stem cells. He is then back on 9th December to see if enough stem cells and if so he will go back the following day to have them collected. He may also need to go back the day after that if not enough collected. They are then frozen ready for when he is admitted for the transplant. The transplant date is the only date we haven't got. I think it is usually 4-6 weeks after collection of stem cells but the nurse we spoke to said that really it can be any time after the collection. Maybe it then depends on when beds are available and your fitness to undergo it. Maybe Graham's date will be after Christmas but we will just go with whatever date they offer and will not be disappointed if it is before Christmas. Graham intended going out tonight but has had his tea and is now snoring. I am just glad he is resting. It's a really cold night so I am glad he is at home.
    Best wishes
    Angela

willjames2
    Participant

Hi Angela,

Those dates make sense to me now on my list. I'll have cyclo priming (injections) between 6th & 12th and then on 13th Jan I'll have Virology blood test and then into Hospital on 14th for Stem Cell Collection. As you say this will depend on how many they collect each day and make take a couple of days or so to collect enough.

I was under the impression I would be straight in for SCT after this however maybe not. I finish my 4th cycle of CTD on 24th November so I would be surprised if I have no further treatment until 4 to 6 weeks after Stem Cell collection. Even though my Lambda levels were basically Zero after the 3rd cycle of CTD.

However I'll just go with the flow and do as the Doctors say and trust in them. The main thing is that we get treated, the fact that it's Xmas is secondary in the grand scheme of things.

There will be other Christmases…many more to enjoy!

Best wishes

Scott

Ang287
    Participant

Hi Scott
    Glad the dates now make a bit more sense. I too think 4-6 weeks sounds a long time and I think once stem cells are collected if you are fit enough they will get you in as soon as they have a bed – in reality it could even be possible the same week. Like you say Christmas can come and go this year and there will be a lot more to enjoy in the future when feeling better.
    I will let you know if they tell us next week when he is likely to have SCT.
    Best wishes
    Angela

Ang287
    Participant

Hi Jean
    My question was really whether Graham should be having the flu jab now so that he is protected in the next few weeks in the run up to STC. His GP has never mentioned it and I brought it up when he last went to our local hospital and he said the hospital doing transplant will probably arrange it but it is getting close now to his STC as hopefully it may be done around Christmas time.
    I bet he will have it soon and then like you say will have to have it again which makes sense as all your immunity is lost that you have built up over the years.
    Best wishes
    Angela x

steverobinson
    Participant

You will be a lot worse if you get influenza than a few days of potential malaise after the jab.
    I'm going for it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Flu Jab’ is closed to new replies.