Free light chains – units of measurement?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mulberry 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

medby
    Participant

Hi

When people are quoting numbers for their free light chains in threads on this forum, what unit of measurement is being used? I see some high numbers being given, but I don’t know if they are comparable to the numbers my doctors are mentioning to me, because the units are not given.

Also, is there perhaps a mistake in the numbers I have been quoted from my doctor, because I’ve been told my blood tests came back with IGG kappa light chains at 19g/l. When I Google, I see free light chains are normally quoted in mg/l or mg/dl, so 19 g/l would become a huge number if converted to those units.

I’m confused and a bit concerned that I don’t know how high my 19 number really is.

Ps. I’m currently undiagnosed, have been told I may have myeloma or amyloidosis

medby
    Participant

Pps. How high are kappa light chains normally in myeloma at the time of diagnosis?

medby
    Participant

Just to add to this, I was also told my lamda number was under 1, which was normal. This makes me think my doctor is likely using mg/dl and perhaps the high numbers I see on this forum are in mg/l?

gizmo
    Participant

Hi Medby

I cant answer your questions as I am very new and going through the process of finding out things but I just wanted to say Hi and pass you this information that I found online which was very helpful indeed from the NHS York hospital.

https://www.yorkhospitals.nhs.uk/seecmsfile/?id=2442 – copy and paste into your browser

How are you feeling now, have you been confirmed as Myeloma?

Gizmo

mulberry
    Participant

My light chains were measured in mg/l. The normal ranges are quoted as follows:
    Lambda 5.71-26.3, kappa 3.3 – 19.4, kappa/lambda ratio 0.26-1.64

There is a useful myeloma Uk leaflet ‘tests and investigations in myeloma’.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.