Goodnight Susan Marshall

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  GarryM 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

GarryM
    Participant

First of all, please let me say that I am extremely sorry that I couldn't keep everyone updated about Sue's progress, or lack thereof. My wife and I got in from the US on Wednesday after my Mum called us, and we went straight to the hospital As with many UK hospitals there was no phone data or wifi and we could not post online except on the rare occasions when we went to my parents, by which time that was the last of our worries. Anyway I know that many of you are very fond of Sue and have given her great support over the years, and wanted to give you my account of her last few days.

She was comfortable for most of the time, and the staff in the Georgina Unit at Russell's Hall Hospital were fantastic in responding to and anticipating her needs. Whenever she complained of pain they immediately administered appropriate pain relief.

She really did go downhill very quickly. She contracted ARDS a week or so ago and it was brutal. Her temp spiked repeatedly despite ever stronger antibiotics. Our first couple of days here found her still "mostly Sue", but with increasing levels of confusion and frustration as she progressively lost the ability to communicate what she was feeling. By Saturday morning, after several days of confusion and frustration, she was effectively in a coma and very comfortable. On Friday night we discussed her situation with the staff and a palliative care regime was implemented.

Her twelve year old daughter said goodbye to her and kissed her Saturday lunch time. My fantastic mum Megan, my wife Denise and I spent the rest of the time holding, sponging, kissing, stroking and loving her until she slipped away very peacefully at 11.10am today. She looked beautiful and peaceful and I am confident that she never suffered any pain in her final two days on this earth.

I already miss her like you would not believe. She was my only sibling and I was her big brother. I always believed it was my job to protect her. Sadly, in the face of Myeloma, I could not do that. What I can do is try to generate support to fight this disease and that I will do.

I thank all of you for the good you do through this forum. I know that it helped her a great deal and I wish I had come here sooner. Good luck with your own fights against this evil disease and, as Tom says, although it's a bit of a struggle for me today, "…onwards and upwards".

Garry

Eva
    Participant

Thanks Garry,
    Eva

Helen
    Participant

Dear Garry and family
    How very sad to hear about Sue. She will be greatly missed on here.
    Love Helen

eve
    Participant

Hi Garry

Thank you for telling us about Sue,I am having problems just trying to find the words to offer some comfort,my first thoughts were,well Sue is not in any pain now,but it's little comfort to her family,no mother expects to loose a daughter,and a young child left with out a mother.
    My best wishes to you all .Love Eve

AlexB
    Participant

Garry, and all Sue's family.

There is, as always, nothing useful to say. Sue was always a wonderful enthusiastic voice in our little community. I will miss her. My thoughts to all of you – especially Sue's daughter. I have young children myself. That children have to live through the effects of myeloma is the most awful thing of all.

Alex

tonyf
    Participant

Garry, so sorry to hear about your sister Sue.
    My condolences to you and the whole family.
    Tony F

susan123
    Participant

I am so sorry for your loss Gary, sue was a wonderful lady and will be greatly missed, please pass on my condolences to the family

Love Sue xxx

tom
    Participant

Garry this is not only to you, this is also for all us that suffer the dreadful Myeloma.

And for those of us that suffer every time we lose "One of our own" I send big hugs and strong cuddle.

And to Garry and Sue's Family and Friends I will say that Sue fought it hard, and was an inspiration to the many that crossed paths Via this forum and Facebook.
    Am sure Sue's Family and Friends will gain a lot through the strength and courage that Sue showed and that Her Daughter am sure will grow in strength knowing her Mum helped lots of MM Folk along her travels.
    And for that I thank Sue's Mum and you Garry her Brother and not forgetting her Daughter "Thank You for sharing your/our Sue

RIP Sue you will be sadly missed. xxxx

Tom x

DaiCro
    Participant

Thank you Garry,

i am so glad that Sue was surrounded by love when she slipped away… it is what I want for myself and if it as you have described for Sue

[quote]Her twelve year old daughter said goodbye to her and kissed her Saturday lunch time. My fantastic mum Megan, my wife Denise and I spent the rest of the time holding, sponging, kissing, stroking and loving her until she slipped away very peacefully at 11.10am today. [/quote]

Then I will be more than satisfied.

Again, thank you and I hope your wonderful Mum, your wonderful wife and your niece surround you and each other with that same love for as long as you all need it.

Regards

Dai.

GarryM
    Participant

You touched me deeply there, Dai. I wish you and Janet all the very best in your journey x

GarryM
    Participant

Thanks to all of you for your lovely messages. I know you all have your own stories and problems otherwise you would probably not be here. I wish you all the best with your challenges.

I think you are a great online community. I know Sue thought so. It was kind of lost on me in the great tidal wave which was Myeloma and its impact on my Sister, and I wish I'd found you earlier.

All the very best to you all
    Garry

lorrainey
    Participant

Hi Garry

So sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely sister Sue. My sincere condolonces to you and your family & friends. Sue fought so bravely,
    you must all be very proud of her.

RIP Sue

Love & hugs Lorraine xxxx

san
    Participant

Hello Garry, Sue looked a beautiful lady, so sad to hear the news, but wonderful to hear how much she was loved by her family, now take care of yourselves San x

GarryM
    Participant

Dear Friends,

Yesterday we gave Susan a lovely send off. I think she would have approved wholeheartedly. Everyone wore Purple, her favourite color, and it was a very nice service. I recorded it for those who may like to hear it – if you do please email me at ukgarry@gmail.com.

All the best
    Garry

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Goodnight Susan Marshall’ is closed to new replies.