Hair loss

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lynnemallace 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Carolsymons
    Participant

It is 2 weeks now since I had the high dose chemo etoposide, as preparation for stem cell collection and every day now I have an ever increasing pile of hair in my brush. I was unprepared for the scalp pain…..I just expected the hair to thin without discomfort. A question: has anyone else had etoposide and if so how long will my hair keep thinning before I am completely bald? If it is a short time I may as well go and have it shaved off now….I resent sleeping with hair in my bed! If it is going to be a longer process, then I will try to hold on to the hair I have left. Anyone experience this?

Carol

Michele
    Participant

Hi Carol
    Well my hair definitely started to thin when I was taking the CTD drugs and came out very quickly once I’d been prepared for stem-cell harvest.
    Like yours, my scalp was very sore.
    When I had the final “toxic” dose of chemo in SCT week, that sealed my hairs fate and it literally fell out completely one night.
    My pillow looked as though a guinea pig had exploded on my pillow!

You’ve got to face the fact that you will be bald for a while, but at this time of the year you can hide it with hats and pretty scarfs.
    My husband was really kind and said I reminded him of a lovely Star Trek alien!

I thought having no hair would be devastating, but I was wrong. It started growing back after about 7 weeks and I enjoyed the break from washing and styling it. Once it started to grow it came through at an amazing speed and a slightly different colour to before.

Hope this helps.
    Michele x

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by  Michele.

charisma4
    Participant

Hi Carol,
    Hi Carol,
    when I had my pre SCT chemo,in August, my hair began to come out within a few days. I was frightened to comb it even . However,it became such a nuisance ( hair in everything – washing up bowl, sandwiches, gravy !!) that I got my daughter, a hairdresser, to shave it all off. We both cried silent tears while it was being done.Oh, and when I was brave enough to look in the mirror, it was a terrible shock, having spent years with a bob and a fringe to divert attention away from my rather large nose ! But I have to say,by day two, I was beginning to like the freedom !
    My hair is growing quite quickly now, although I still wear a wig as I’m not keen on the Sinead O’Connor look.

So I suppose my point is that the whole experience of hair loss hasn’t been as crippling as I imagined it would be,and my advise to you would be to shave your head now, before it leaves you with several bald patches.On the plus side, I have saved ££s on hair products !

Kind wishes ,
    Lesley

Carolsymons
    Participant

Thanks Michelle and Lesley. I am at the point of being totally fed up sleeping with hair all over my pillow and as you say Lesley, everywhere else and I haven’t even got to the SCT process yet. I am also worried about my rather large nose! But after the holiday on Wednesday I am going to see if my hairdresser will shave it all off. That’s if I can make her understand what I want as she is Lithuanian with very little English! Maybe I had better take a photo of a bald head! I couldn’t go out now without a hat or wig anyway…my hair looks disgusting!

Carol

charisma4
    Participant

Hi Carol,

Good Luck on Wednesday, take a hat as you will really feel the cold when your hair has gone.Is someone going with you ?

Just keep reminding yourself that hair loss is a small price to pay. My nan had a great saying “all times pass ” and it has been my mantra over these last unpleasant few months.
    My teenage grand daughters tell me I look ‘cool’ now that my hair is starting to grow again, and that i shouldn’t wear my wig anymore……..fat chance, but at least we can have a giggle about the whole situation now without shedding tears.

You go gal !!!
    all the best,

Lesley

lynnemallace
    Participant

When I had chemo before harvest my hair started to fall out around 2 weeks after. Like you guys I was fed up waking up with my pillow covered in hair although I had got it cut really short when I was diagnosed in July 2013 as I thought it would fall out earlier. So really I had it 6 months extra lol. I have got used to no hair but the weirdest part was the first day in the shower after it had been shaved lol no hair to wash lol. My daughter and fiancé came with me to get it shaved and my daughter asked if she could keep some in an envelope…. She is 12 🙂 . I am going in for my transplant on 13th January 2014 and feeling very nervous but I know it is for the best. Chin up girls……… Onwards and upwards xx

Carolsymons
    Participant

Thanks Lynne

I am sitting waiting nervously every day for my next appointments at Hammersmith Hospital, London. I am also anticipating transplant in January.

I discovered a website last night “Anna Bandana” that has lots of different scarves, hats etc for chemo patients, with very reasonable prices I thought, so I have ordered some. When I was at Ealing Hospital, they ordered me a wig, but I feel so self conscious when I put it on, maybe scarves are the answer. If my appointments don’t come through this week I plan on returning to work next Monday (high school in Southall west London) but am anxious about wearing any head gear. I have told some of the students I deal with (I am a special needs co-ordinator) that I have cancer, but when I returned to work in November, my appearance hadn’t changed. Maybe I just won’t go back to work and hope things move quickly towards transplant. But…..I will be on half pay if I don’t return. Decisions, decisions, decisions!
    Carol

lynnemallace
    Participant

Hi Carol

I have a few bandana’s and hats but I always revert back to my wig when I go out as I feel I do not suit bandana’s. I have been off work since January 2013 as I work in a hospital as a nursing auxiliary in the labour ward which is a really physical and heavy role. I am on no pay now which is hard 🙁 but I have to think of my own health first. Keep your chin up and as my dad says they’ll only look/stare at you once……….

All the best for 2014 and hope you get word of your transplant soon.

Lynne x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hair loss’ is closed to new replies.