Hi all, Old man here!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 12 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jorge
    Participant

Just found this website and forum. I am 66, male, single and now retired. Probably unlike most of you, I do not have the advantage of a carer.

Diagnosed with MM Sept 2010 and hospitalised for 2 weeks. I was treated completely while I was living in Argentina.
    Started on Velcade, Thalidomide and Dex (I think that's how they're spelt in English!) anticipated for 6 cycles, one per month. Unfortunately, the province I was living in had problems in obtaining Velcade so the 6 months extended to 8 months.

In May 2011 I had gained complete remission and I had an autologous SCT in Sept 2011. I was told that I would be in hospital for about 28 days. I was let out on day 17! But returned every other day for the first week and the once a week for the next 3 weeks.

I left Argentina in Feb 2012 and I have now returned to my native Ireland for my final days (I am in God's hands, so no problems there)……

My only side effect of all the treatment is Peripheral Neuropathy, affecting my fingers and feet. However, it does not affect me to the degree that I can't walk or drive, I get about very well but it can be very uncomfortable at times; especially in the cold weather.

mhnevill
    Participant

Welcopme Jorge

Sorry you are having to cope with the devastating diagnosis of MM on your own. I am sure you will find this site very supportive as you settle back in Ireland.

All good wishes.

Mavis

eve
    Participant

Hi Jorge
    Nice to here from you old man,if I called my hubby that he would read me the riot act. LOL
    You seem to have God in your life ,so may be he is the only carer you need,you seem to be doing very well on it.Do not right yourself off to soon,people are getting past a 10 year remission and with new drugs in the pipe line,you might live to be an old man,we have a 80 odds on here but he is young at heart name Ted.So there is a chance for you yet.Eve

teds31
    Participant

Hi this is Ted and for my pains I am 80 so dont give up on age,there are lots of things to do and ways to keep in touch with people,I help a charity to teach older people computers, there are lots of charitys that need help and you make lots of friends at the same time. Good luck and keep in touch with this post. Ted:-)

tom
    Participant

Hi Jorge

A warm welcome to you.

As for a Carer? my young bride say's she has been my carer long before I got MM Lol, as for you returning to your Native Ireland for your "Final Days" am sure it will be years before that happens 😎

Keep fit and stay strong

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

Perkymite
    Participant

😀 Old Man, you are just a youngster, I am 69 closing on 70. Welcome.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hi all, Old man here!’ is closed to new replies.