Holidays, travel insurance and relapsing!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  eve 11 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Folks

Sorry I've not been on the forum for a while, a combination of being in India for three weeks and then 2 broken laptops! I had a great holiday in India despite a last minute travel insurance emergency. I have written about all of that and relapsing in my latest blog post which you should be able to read by clicking on the link below:-

http://wendyduffield.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/a-passage-to-india/

Keep going well

Wendy

eve
    Participant

Hi Wendy

Loved your blog;-) 😀 🙂 😎

Keep going ,I admire the way you keep going.Love Eve

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Wendy

Loved your blog on your trip to India. You really had a blast 🙂 You are very determined lady and long may your adventures continue

Jean

Helen
    Participant

Welcome back Wendy, your trip looks amazing, I confess to not changing my insurance before we went to Lanzarote, didn't think about it really, I had nothing I writing, just a 'you need a bone marrow biopsy to see what is going on so we will do it when you are back from holiday' anyway. It is done now, results next week.
    I think living with relapsing is a tricky phase, keep us posted. I've overtaken you a bit now, my lambda light chains are 113. Down a little from previously, so holidays seem to help!
    Love Helen

wendyduffield
    Participant

Thanks Eve

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Jean, nice picture of Frank with the baby!

wendyduffield
    Participant

Ooh Helen, you naughty girl! I had nothing in writing either! Hope you had a nice time in Lanzarote. My consultant doesn't seem to think I need a BMB at this stage so that's a bit of pain avoided! Fingers crossed for your results. Relapsing is certainly a tricky phase but if we are in good health then long may it continue. Keep us posted too

Love Wendy x

feaseyjane
    Participant

Hi Wendy

What a wonderful experience after the small blip with insurance
    Lovely photographs.
    Good luck to you

Jane
    Xxx

Helen
    Participant

Ha Wendy
    I know, but to be fair I was only going to Spain, and only the myeloma would not be covered, but yes it was a risk. I'd have been a lot less gung ho if I'd gone to Peru as originally planned. And when I booked it he thought it might go down as the chest infections have all gone now and I'm really feeling well, if slow at walking (arthritis) 8 weeks of no cough! Great. I'm off to Cornwall at the end of the month. Love Helen

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Helen, glad you are feeling well (its ironic isn't it that we are relapsing when feeling so well) but disappointed for you that you had to shelve your plans to go to Peru. Do you really think you cant go because my consultant said I was ok to go to India as long as my light chains were no more than 600? Enjoy Cornwall anyway

Wendy x

Helen
    Participant

Hi Wendy
    Peru wasn't shelved permanently but I had chest infection after chest infection so thought thin air might be a step too far and was going to leave it until later, I've not asked again.
    I get the bone marrow result next week. If it is ok he thinks I might have up to 2 years before I need more treatment but as the sflc went 43, 58, 119, it was going up swiftly in march and treatment looked imminent. It is a relief that it has levelled off a bit. hope it stays there. 600 is my threshold too.
    I will ask and pay high premiums if I can go but it all hangs on the BMB? I don't think it will be bad but I can't tell. I was ill for 4 years unknowingly before diagnosis……. I thought I was just having a bad menopause …… Tired, anaemic, back pain and the hair on my legs stopped growing, which I was quite pleased about! Now I'm not saying I look like a gorilla yet but my leg hair is more luxuriant now than it has been for years so maybe my bone marrow is still functioning ok, who knows, I'm in that horrid state of uncertainty yet again!
    Anyway enough grumbling I just hope the Cornish sun shines a lot and I will enjoy it anyway
    Love Helen

eve
    Participant

Hi ladies

With Slim being deemed to be out of remission and will have to have BMB every time they need to know how is myeloma is doing,plus more blood .it has made us rethink are plans.

We thought France safe to go only to find your European Health card will only cover 79. Percent of emergence treatment, so getting caught out could be costly. So I think it has to be UK for us always wanted to do Scotland was saving it for are old age. Love Eve

Helen
    Participant

Dear Eve
    It's really hard isn't it? And it feels unfair when you look and feel well! Make sure you have lots of anti midge stuff for Scotland, but it's always very pretty.
    Love Helen

tom
    Participant

Hi Eve

Am same to be honest but am still in remission, but the thought of me going abroad and getting ill scares the hell out of me, all that Money to pay that I aint got house gone up to our ears in unwanted debt (that's if some one would give me a loan to pay Medical Bills)

So this year The Young Bride has Booked us a 5 day Coach trip ?? Lord knows if I will like it? but hey ho al give it a shot, saves me driving I can sit back and Relax.

Enjoy today its looking like a scorcher here in sunny scunny

Tom xxx

eve
    Participant

Hi Tom

Coach trip seems a good idea,as you say no driving,I drive now for long journeys.

We like the freedom a Motorhome gives you,but must admit will want to know we're the hospital is. I am determined this Myeloma is not going to take everything away from us. We will still take trips to France but only within a 24hr distance..
    This is why we sold are big van a smaller one is easier to manage.

It seems all European Countries are different UK is the only country that do not make other countries pay in emergency , I dread to think what 21 percent in ITU would cost in France. Last time we went are own doctor would not sign the insurance paper to say he was fit to travel we had to go via consultant and that was when BMB said 0.00 percent. So do not think we will bother next time just go on Euro Card and be with in 24hr distant.
    What a way to live.!!

Hope your coach trip is some were special. Love Eve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Holidays, travel insurance and relapsing!’ is closed to new replies.