Home after SCT

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  OutdoorsPaul 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

OutdoorsPaul
    Participant

Hello all
    I am back home after my SCT which took 16 days,I seem to have got through it very well with no real sore throat issues and only a little bowel problem.I did get the obligatory infection/high temp which got upto 39.5 but antibiotics dealt with that.
    I was given 2 bags of platelets to assist when my body count was at its lowest which also did the job.My plan is for me to recover with rest and exercise over coming months and we are going away to Mull in early October.The medical plan for me is for me to return to hospital at the 3 month mark to have my allo graph as a donor has been found for me.:-)
    Hope you all enjoying the weather
    cheers Paul

tom
    Participant

Hi Paul

And a welcome home 😀 16 days is good same as mine 😎
    Keep germ free and fit (ish) and good Luck in the road to recovery.

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" x

Michele
    Participant

Well done Paul.
    Like Tom said keep as germ free as you can. My husband David turned our house into Fort Knox when I first came home. We were so very unsociable but our friends and family understood why we were like that!

You'll no doubt feel a bit weak and feeble to start with so don't do too much. Rest whenever you feel like it, although I tried not to sleep too much in the daytime so that I didn't mess up my nights sleep pattern.

Be aware of feeling a bit emotional about the whole isolation experience too. It was most odd with me. I couldn't bear to touch anything I'd had with me in hospital until it was washed, I didn't touch my laptop for at least 3 weeks because it reminded me of my "prison" and I didn't watch any TV programmes I'd watched in hospital for ages. Very strange but very real!

Take it easy and keep us informed of your progress.

Michele x

OutdoorsPaul
    Participant

Hi Michele
    I to am similar about the clothing I have used while being in hospital,even thoe its been through the wash its the associations they have.I am sure that it will wear off in time.Taken the dog out this morning with my wife Rachel and have now spent at least 3hrs snoozing!Where we live is quite rural so there is little public interaction should you choose,so good for keeping away unwanted germs.
    cheers Paul (the hermit)

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Welcome home (home is where the hospital isn't) and well done.

Evryone will tell you to avoid infections… and so will I. You say you live in a rural area where there is little public interaction if you chose, well choose… and extend it to all but the very closest of famiily and friends for the next few weeks. I am sure that everyone will be ultra sensible regarding feeling in tip top condition before visiting but you should also ask them to extend their condition to include that of their family and work colleagues too…. says Dr.Dred. 😉

Enjoy your recovery as much as you can but take it one day at a time… but as my friend Woody Guthrie once said: 'Take it easy but take it'.8-)

Regards:-)

Dai.

wendyduffield
    Participant

Hi Paul

bet you are glad to be home but it will feel strange the next few weeks as you start the slow process of recovering. Seems like you had a relatively easy time of it like me, just a bit of sickness and a sore mouth. Take it easy and enjoy being free as I see what lies ahead is a mini allo, good that a donor has been lined up

Wendy

Vicki
    Participant

Hi,

Well done paul, that seems to have gone quick, but maybe not for you! I hope you continue to recover well, enjoy mull, and get yourself in tip top shape for the next stage.

Vicki and Colin

Ali
    Participant

Hi Paul

Welcome home and well done!

Enjoy being at home and your own bed!

Rest up and take care

Love Alison x

Elizellen
    Participant

Great job done, Paul!! 🙂

Wishing you a similarly uneventful (and germfree) recovery and a lovely holiday before loins need to be girded for the allo procedure in 3 months.

Love
    Eliz
    XX
    X

Helen
    Participant

Hi Paul
    Glad to see you got this hurdle passed, take it easy for a bit, just eat lots.
    Love Helen

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Paul

So glad to hear the SCT is over and relitively trouble free. As everyone says, do keep free from other folk's germs and hang on there for that break in October.

All best wishes as you wait for your Alo transplant. I have been interested to hear of Jet's progress since hers. Do you read her posts? You are brave souls.

Mavis x

OutdoorsPaul
    Participant

Hi Mavis
    Yes i read jets blog/post,she is truly an inspiration and provides insight into my next step.
    cheers Paul

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Home after SCT’ is closed to new replies.