My Mums SCT

This topic contains 73 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Ali 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Ali
    Participant

Hi guys,

I just thought I would fill you in re my Mums SCT. She was admitted at 9pm Tuesday evening, melphalan Wednesday and stem cells returned today – 2 bags, they will store the other 2 bags. Despite feeling very nauseous her spiits are good and I have to say that the staff are looking after her very well. Visiting times are very relaxed and I can fit the hospital in around my family. I know its early days yet. Do we count the day that stem cells are returned as day 1?.

Any words of advice will be gratefully received!

Love Ali x

Helen
    Participant

Hi Ali
    I think day 1 is the day after stem cell return though it feels as though you should go from the melphalan day as that is the serious chemo. I was ok but nauseous and sick for the first 3 days but deteriorated after that. I didn't want anyone to see me so ill so banned all but a few visitors, no one with any colds or coughs or children was allowed near for weeks, did a bit of phone calling to those I missed but spent a lot of time concentrating on sleeping and drinking, couldn't bear food at all. As a patient I'd suggest you are very patient with her, try not to look anxious, even when you are and keep your fingers crossed that it's all straightforward.
    Keep in touch
    Love Helen

tom
    Participant

Hi Ali

Good Luck to your Mum on the road to Remission, its a hard rough ride but one that is well worth it.
    Advice?? well I think Helen has covered a lot of it and I say take the Mouth wash every time your Mum nips to the loo or just feels like she has nothing to do the more mouthwash used the less problems (it was for me anyways) and the Sickness just make sure your Mum gets plenty of Anti Sickness Tabs and takes them.
    And it correct if your Ill and your visitors look stressed when visiting it wil make you worse so keep calm and keep the smile 😀

Love and Hugs

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

Give your Mum a hug from me and tell her it wont be long 😎

eve
    Participant

Hi Ali
    Well this is it,no going back now,your mum went into this being very strong,so you keep your chin up and keep her spirits up.

If your mum keeps being sick,and cannot keep tablets down they will use a driver,her throat is the first thing to get sore and as Tom said mouth washers as much as possible,saying that Slim could not do even that,smells were enough to start him vomiting,its nothing the staff have not seen,and they will be on the ball.

The smell of sweet corn is the first thing that hits you,just get your mum anything she fancies from the kitchen,and just be around for when she keeps waking up. Love Eve

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Alison

Hope your mum is doing well. Have been thinking about it all week. I hope she will get through it with minimum problems. In a funny sort of way we want colins to come forward and then we don't. Keep us posted if you can.

Good luck 🙂 🙂

Vicki and Colin x

Ali
    Participant

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies and advice – means alot!:-)

Mum was much brighter this morning – had a good nights sleep after having a little blue antisickness pill under her tongue last night. She had fish and chips for lunch and enjoyed it. When I left her at 2.30pm I could tell she was ready for a snooze(though she would never say so). She had soup for tea and a blackcurrant tart that my Dad took her in, so she is still eating quite well. This evening though she is a bit down as she waited until she felt sick before having anymore antisickness, Dad and I have both told her not to wait until she feels sick to take something (she was holding out for the blue pill again for a good nights sleep). Shes also had to have 2 bags of blood today. Mouthwash being used religiously Tom. On the whole though – a good day I think.

Vicki – I understand what you mean. The closer it becomes, you just want to get it over with. How are things with you guys?

Love Alison xx

eve
    Participant

Hi Ali

Your mum knows her own body best,but I would impress on her about taking anti sickness pill 15 min before she eats,mainly because once you have been sick with a certain food,it puts you off it for a long time,so a food you enjoyed becomes a food that made you sick:-( Love Eve

Dizzyliz
    Participant

Hi Ali,

Glad to hear your mums sct went well, she sounds like a very strong lady and a good sign that she is managing some food.
    When kev had his he didn't eat until he got home and then it was little and often, but the one thing he took was the anti sickness tablets / mouthwash which did the job but he did sleep for Britain! The staff on fletcher ward were brilliant,
    So as Tom would say -Onwards and upwards from now on.

Send our best wishes to your mum and tell her were thinking of her.

Love liz & kev xx

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Alison,

All ok with us, just waiting for revised dates and whether the booster injection for gcsf will be available, sorry your mum is feeling sick, that's the one thing that colins dreading. Glad to hear she has been able to eat a bit though. I suppose now she is on the treadmill called the SCT things will go up and down like a yo yo…..but at least she has started the process. It's daunting but once she has reached the rock bottom stage it can only be on the up. We have been following penny lawson and she was allowed out to fresh air these last couple of days. If your mum is sporty at least she can watch the Olympics LOL!
    We do hope your mum keeps strong…. This is the last hard stage before being 'normal' again, whatever that is!

Take care all, did your mum suck ice lollies…..we were told that helps the mouth?

Vicki and Colin x

Ali
    Participant

Hi everyone

Vicki, Im sure they will sort it for Colin to use plerixafor, its so unfair the options are not the same for all, purely due to funding. Fingers crossed it will be soon. Just to let you know re the time Colin has had off his treatment. Mum had her last RCD in April so has had a good long wait for this next stage and her PP levels did not change during that time – we were so worried they would be on the up again. Mums not sporty at all! lol but probably will be once she is out as she sure is watching alot of the olympics.

Ice lollies….she had 2 long ice pops, 2 calypos and a refresher ice lolly (she said she felt sick but that was due to the lollies rather that the chemo!)I did not tell my kids how many Gran had had for obvious reasons!. She has to start having the gcsf injections again from tues and was on a nebuliser yesterday as she cannot take a certain tab to prevent some sort of pnuemonia.

Liz and Kev, Mum has learned her lesson I think re antisickness tabs! Before she went in hospital she promised me faithfully that she would eat, and I trust that she will do her very best. You are right , the staff on Fletcher have all been lovely and nothing is too much trouble, it makes the time in there much more bearable. I didnt get to see mum yesterday as we were at wedding so cant wait to go today!

I will keep you informed. Thanks for your support.

Alison x

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Ali,

That's for taking the time to give us some encouragement!, given that you have so much on at the moment.

Glad to hear your mum is doing ok so far, and hope that she doesn't feel so sick. If she can eat a bit that's all the battle to keep her strength up,,,,,hopefully she will enjoy lollies in the hot weather in the future, not just due to the SCT. Hope she keeps her chin up, it must be so hard to watch, sensing though you are a close family and you will do it!

Best of luck

Vicki and Colin x

Ali
    Participant

Hi Vicki and Colin

Just to let you know another fairly good day for Mum. Still feeling nauseous and sleepy today, but perked up this evening. Shes still eating – although she struggled at tea time with the weird spag bol with potatoes and veg combo, said she fancied a bacon sarnie so Dad said hed take her in whatever she fancies tomorrow and she managed to up her water intake abit. Shes even skyped the kids tonight which will give her a boost im sure. Oh and no sore mouth….Im not sure when that starts? if at all. Im hoping that the mouthwash has done the trick.

Right, im off to limber up for the 100m race!

Love Ali x

tom
    Participant

Hi Ali
    Am pleased to read your Mum is doing Ok as for the sore mouth keep on using the mouth was more than they say (when its empty they will give your mum a new one ) when your mum has a spare min and or nips to the loo get that mouth wash used 😀 Oh and keep taking the anti sickness tabs often :-/ . The water intake I just couldn't do it they had to put in in through me line to get enough into me :-S .

Hope you won the 100 M 😎

Love and Hugs to you all

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Ali,

Just tuning in to wish you and your mum well. Hope the odd food combinations have become more appetising, and the menu more normal! I wondered how your mum has been feeling today, and whether her bloods are on the down stage before the wonderful return upwards, maybe early days yet? I hope the mouthwashes do the trick, they've not mentioned using those in gloucestershire (what's it called ?).

Keep your chins up…..I'm exhausted after the cycling, running 10k, doing the triathlon and winning the equestrian!

Vicki and Colin x

Ali
    Participant

Hi

Just an update on Mum. Well, what can I say? Shes having a tough time at the moment and I suppose for the last couple of days. D&V and loss of appetite. Its 6 days since her stem cells were returned so we understand that this is completely normal and the doctors are happy enough with how things are progressing. Its just not nice to be a bystander and being powerless to help. She told me not to bother visiting today as she would probably be asleep. Dad went this evening and stayed only an hour. He asked the nurse how her bloods were doing and she said still at 1.5?. To top it all off she has a rash on her scalp so cant wear a scarf so she will be feeling pretty terrible about that too. I am so pleased that we have an understanding of the process and side effects (thanks to this site and all of you) as if we didnt we would be more worried. We know she will get there and she has to get worse before she gets better:-( So. lets see what tomorrow brings and hopefully she will be up for a small visit.

Tom, I didnt win the 100m, I feel like im doing the marathon at the minute!:-D

Vicky, shes not got a sore mouth (or at least not that I know of) I will look to see the name of the mouthwash shes using, its not Caphasol? which has been mentioned on here before. Bloods 1.5 and im unsure when the downstage happens, maybe someone can help me with this one. She has started having the gcsf injections again.

Hope you are having a restful evening after your shennanigans today lol:-)

Take care

Ali x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘My Mums SCT’ is closed to new replies.