How to support loved ones

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kh0305 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

bobbie
    Participant

Hi everyone!!

My mum will be going for a stem cell transplant in two weeks time, whilst she found out last year about her diagnosis, i only found out very recently. (This was the best decision for my mum to tell me now, as I am currently at university, nearly finishing).

I am feeling all sorts of emotions, sometimes happy, sad, angry, numb, unmotivated etc. But I want to try and keep positive for my mum whilst she goes through this long and hard process.

Any tips or advice on how to support loved ones through this journey? My mind keeps going to the worst possible outcome as I struggle with health anxiety. I find it hard as none of my friends have been through this and this is the first time for my family, so I don’t want to bombard them with questions, when they don’t know themselves.

Thank you
    Bobbie

mulberry
    Participant

Hi Bobbie

It is always a terrible shock to have a loved one get a diagnosis like myeloma.
    When you first get the news it is normal to be totally preoccupied and devastated by it.
    However although myeloma isn’t curable, it really is treatable in most cases, including your mum’s. (I know because she must have responded well to treatment to be having a stem cell transplant soon). This is likely to mean that she will return to next to normal health once she has recovered from the stem cell transplant, and she may remain stable and very well, so that people who don’t know her well will have no reason to suppose anything is wrong, for years, perhaps many years.
    The treatments available for myeloma patients has been improving rapidly over the past few years. This means that survival statistics will be better than ever, and certainly better than internet articles suggest or even doctors who are not myeloma experts say. The patients who started my local myeloma support group were diagnosed 17 & 18 years ago now, before the current drugs were available. There will be many more of us alive in 17, 18 years time now because we will get access to more lines of treatment and to more effective treatments.

When I was diagnosed I just enjoyed spending quality time with my daughter, occasionally we did online courses together- even when we were not physically together. If your mum is interested in crafts or cooking there are lots of options. PM me if you can’t find them.

My daughter occasionally came with me to appointments if my husband couldn’t,or to give him a break, which I found helpful. It’s always helpful to have an extra pair of ears to hear information, it’s very easy to miss some of what is said by our health professionals.

If your mum is the type of person who doesn’t like to research health issues, (eg for fear of what she might read), you could ask her if you could do this on her behalf, filtering positive information to her as you find it.

If you want to get better informed yourself, the best place to start is with the Myeloma UK patient information booklets that can be downloaded from the website, or hard copies can be sent to you.

All this can be delayed for a bit.
    If you were my daughter I would want your number 1 priority to be to get through these last few months of your degree, to try to leave worries about your mum’s health to one side until you’ve completed your final essays and dissertation, revision and exams.
    There will be time to deal with the repercussions of your mum’s myeloma after you have graduated, and you graduating will give her a lot of pleasure.

bobbie
    Participant

Hi Mulberry,

Thank you so much for this- its really helpful!!

Where could I access these online courses? That might be a nice way to distract my mum from what is going on and just spend some quality time together.

Once again thank you and hope you’re doing well.

mulberry
    Participant

Hi Bobbie

My daughter and I enjoyed a zoom cookery course together but far apart so to speak. The one she chose, Migrateful, was very good, but I think plenty are available online.
    If you search for zoom courses online you may find lots of options. Some are Create & Bloom Workshops, Craftcourses.com, ClassBento.co.uk.
    I haven’t tried them all but did really enjoy a flower arranging one, but can’t remember who ran it.
    Another thing my daughter has done was to buy kits occasionally when we were able to physically be in the same place, such as air dry clay & paints. That gave us a good giggle.
    It is certainly good for people with myeloma to get the opportunity to forget about the disease sometimes, crafts certainly helped me.

It’s now 4 years since I had my stem cell transplant, nearly 5 years since I was diagnosed, and my myeloma has been quiet and stable (“in remission”) since I had the stem cell transplant. I have to be a bit careful about not getting exposed to viruses (like wearing a mask in airports and in planes and I only go into shops or restaurants on special occasions,) and my energy levels drop in the evening, but I feel way, way better than I had expected to when I was diagnosed, and I hope this is your mum’s experience too.
    I hope her stem cell transplant goes smoothly.
    Best wishes
    Jane

kh0305

Hi Bobbie,
    My dad was diagnosed with MM in Jan 2013 and like you went through the whole cycle of emotions. It is hard to hear that your parent has an incurable cancer, but as Jane says, MM is very treatable and dad is still here with us 10 years on!

I found for me, the best way to support was to be there for my parents when things were getting a bit much for them on a day to day basis, researching things they didn’t understand or wanted more information on, attending appointments at the hospital to ask the questions they might not be able to because of emotions running high etc.

There is also the peer buddy scheme here at Myeloma UK where you can be matched with a carer who has been through a similar experience to chat to over 6 sessions to share experiences and feelings that might be useful for you. You can call the info line on 0800 980 3332 for more information if that sounds like it could help.
    xx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.