Husband just diagnosed.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mikey 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

adelaide56
    Participant

Hi

2 weeks ago today we were told that my husband of 35 years has myeloma.

He had been feeling tired for a while and the doctor decided to do his annual blood tests a month early.  These showed up anaemia and kidney problems and we were told to go straight to the hospital.

The following day after lots of tests including a bone marrow biopsy, we were told what it was.   We were so shocked and still are.

he had 6 days in hospital, had fluids and a blood transfusion and once his kidney function was sufficiently recovered he started chemo straight away.

he is now at home and we are trying to cope…he is very quiet and withdrawn, understandably, and I am anxious and tearful at times, but trying hard to be strong for him.  It’s like be set adrift…so hard.

We have family, a daughter and son and a lovely son in law…my sister is very supportive,  she has survived breast cancer and nursed a partner who died from lung cancer.  So she has experience of patient and carer.

Our daughter is expecting our first Granddaughter in 3 weeks time, so we have something to really look forward to.  I think it will really help.

so that’s us, I look forward to using this site for support and advice.  Thanks for reading this,

• This topic was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by  adelaide56.

mickack
    Participant

Hi.

I was diagnosed with myeloma this very week last october…Ime just gone.

I had blood transfusion..biopsy and put on 6 months tablet chemo combination within the first week of diagnosis as I was very poorly.

I was in total shock for them 6 months and with the initial chemo meds very emotional.

that finished in march and in April this year i had a stem cell transplant and high dose chemo… This wiped me out for a couple of months…

BUT

I’ve just walked up a mountain at the lakes for out local blood cancer charity and I’ve never felt better. Both mentally and physically.

The last year has been tough but you will get through it..We have no choice do we

the quicker n younger the diagnosis the better so it dosnt affect the bones.

talk about it and get all the info you can…be positive as it really does help…your story is exactly the same as mine and ime still here 🙂 ….and the new meds they are bringing out are getting better and we are living longer.

It’s so hard on the family also but you must keep talking an get as much help from all the relevant agencies as you can

take care

mick

mickack
    Participant

Ime 48 just gone

mick

adelaide56
    Participant

thank you so much for this….you are right, so similar to my husbands story.  He is a young 61 year old and I know we will get through…like you say the treatments are getting better all the time.

It was good to hear of such  a positive outcome for you…you have really helped.

bandityoga
    Participant

My husband was diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 56. I cried all the time and could not function as he was kept in hospital with a lesion on his spine and then had spinal compression . He did not cope very well and is on an antidepressant , which does help. He also had a psychologist .

I take diazapan when I feel really anxious and can’t sleep . You have to look after yourself too.

Hope all goes well. Talk to your gp

Harmony
    Participant

So sorry that you have had to join our gang but keep positive – there are people out there who’ve been battling for over 10 years. Live, love and talk. It will be tough to come to terms with but in time, you will all reach calm acceptance.x

hmj
    Participant

Please do try to keep positive, my dad lived for 19 years after first diagnosis and this was in  1995 and treatment has now come so far so i hope that people can live longer and better lives with this disease. Its a worrying time for your husband and family, keep strong and keep talking

best

hmj

Vicki
    Participant

Hi there,

Colin was diagnosed as 56 in October 2011. I don’t think I will ever forget and neither will he. All the usual feelings of upset, anger, disbelief etc. What we have realised though is that we must be strong as a team just supporting each other. Believing it can be beater, asking questions and making sure the best treatment is received.

Good luck to you both

Vickimand colin x

adelaide56
    Participant

Thank you for the replies…we have had a good weekend….managed a meal out for our daughters birthday on Friday and today a tea party and baby shower at their house.  My husband is being so brave and calm and I am fussing a lot less and taking my lead from him.  We will get through this.

mikey
    Participant

Hi,
    Just an update on your recent bad news.
    Myeloma is a very individual cancer, but can be treated well.
    In my case i was diagnosed in March, 2003, and still on treatmnent .
    I am on a drug Revlimid, and have been on it now for several years.
    I have been on many treatments and had a Stem Cell Transplant,and may have another, you will become accustomed to all the terms, many of the treatments are hard work, but i have got through all of them, each one worked for a said time, and like i say it is a very individual cancer , some have better responses to treatment than others, its hard, but it can work, i have come through all so far, and survived 11 years , so please keep your heads up, and be as positive as possible, . 😉 .
    If you need private chat or help , please e: mail me at : Mach1966@aol.com.
    Kind Regards.
    Mike. Phillips.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Husband just diagnosed.’ is closed to new replies.