Ian home after SCT

This topic contains 21 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cartdaw 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

bandityoga
    Participant

Ian came home today after day 15 of SCT. He has not had too many side effects and only lost 3 kilos in weight. He will have to build up his strength gradually and hopefully the SCT has been successful. The care he got was fantastic, can’t fault nhs and I believe the cost of a SCT is £25,000.00.

Maureen x

cygnet
    Participant

Welcome home Ian!

I’m glad all has gone well after all your worries.

Love & hugs to both of you

C x

robbojnn
    Participant

great news i too spent 15 days in  sct  been home 8 weeks ,promise you appetite will return and your’e sense of taste and smell will return to normal

dickb
    Participant

Good news he is home, there will be a couple of ups and downs but make the most of it.

Richard

bandityoga
    Participant

Ian had a high temperature (39.7) yesterday so he is back in hospital. He is responding to iv antibiotics and should be home either tomorrow or Tuesday. It could have been a urine infection but doctor not sure yet, his temperature is back to normal.

How are you Richard, did you pass your exam?

Maureen

dickb
    Participant

Hi Maureen,

Sorry to hear Iain’s back in, still it’s probably the best place for him. As for me, my Heamoglobin dropped to about 10 so they were a bit concerned. I had another blood test last week, while they recovered my Leucocytes have dropped now. Still not doing too badly. I had the mock exam a few weeks ago and scraped by – blame that on it being in a foreign language. I have the final exams end of the month – a practical and a written as well as a German language exam. I don’t think I’m good enough with the German yet and being really hampered by the Dexy but I’m not giving up. I am going to sit the exams and worry about the consequences later. Not going to be beaten by poxy MM.

Richard

Helen
    Participant

Hi Maureen
    Hope Ian is back home again soon, he does seem to have an awfully bumpy ride with this disease, fingers crossed you can have an event free few weeks ro recover.
    Love helen

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Maureen

So glad Ian is the right side of his SCT in spite of set backs. I do hope you have some very good years ahead of you.

Love to you both.

Mavis x

rebeccaR
    Participant

Fingers crossed all goes well for you now from this point on. So pleased he has got to this stage at last. Japanese proverb “Fall 7 times and Stand up 8”

Take care (Both of you), Rebecca

adamsp41
    Participant

Good luck to Ian on his post SCT recovery…hope there are more ups than downs…Phil

ange
    Participant

That’s great news, hope all goes smoothly for you both now. Andrea xx

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Maureen

Just tuned in. Glad Iain got through the SCT. Colin went back in too the first time round. He was in for a week. He was fine too. Fingers crossed for a long remission. Hope you are ok too Maureen 🙂

Vicki and Colin x

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Vicki

Ian is still in hospital as he is still experiencing rigors and high temperatures but now on oral antibiotics and paracetamol. It is quite worrying. I only IraniAn will have a good remission.

I read your post that Colin is on melphalan and dex. Is he having to stay in hospital for this treatment? Ian would not have been referred for a SCT if we had not seen another consultant so maybe it is worth getting a second opinion.

I have been very tired driving to hospitals but otherwise fine. We have come a long way since diagnosis and I think you get stronger and more positive.

I hope Colin gets into remission with the treatment.

Maureen x

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Maureen

Those rigours are frightening aren’t they! Colin had those and we didn’t know what they were to begin with! Colin did have to stay in hospital for that. He went in last Wednesday eveing and they gave him bags and bags of fluid all night to hydrate, then the chemo which was 30 minutes and then bags and bags of fluid again, with a diuretic to make him pee. He peed for England, up 13 times in the night!

He was back home Saturday afternoon. He was ok on the steroids on the Saturday but Sunday, Monday and today he has been rough!

How is Ian doing?

Vicki

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Vicki

Ian is feeling better this morning. I phoned The Beatson in Glasgow on Monday,where he had his transplant and passed on my concerns about Ian. FVRH had put him on oral antibiotics and he had rigors all night as he had taken his quota of paracetamol. Yesterday he was changed to a stronger iv antibiotics which are now working. I think the doctor at The Beatson has got in touch and advised FVRH to change treatment. I do not have a lot of faith in our consultant and every time we go to the clinic I request we do not see him but unfortunately when Ian is in hospital we do not have a choice.

It seems to be very harsh treatment Colin is on, can you not get a second opinion on another SCT? I hope he is well enough to go to that wedding. It’s important for you to get out too.

The new treatment in the news seems very promising, the immune system destroying the cancer cells instead of chemotherapy, but it isn’t available for 5 years. Just got to pray hubby’s will be around to have this.

I try to enjoy what we have and try not to worry about the future until something bad happens.

Keep in touch.

Maureen x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Ian home after SCT’ is closed to new replies.