I’m ill – 19 months – no answers yet.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mulberry 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

biffboff
    Participant

Please forgive me if I’m jumping to the wrong conclusion but I wonder if I might have Myeloma. I am 67 and a woman. I’ve had ME/CFS with pain since 1980. I am used to putting up with things.

In November 2021 I had horrendous central back pain causing me to wake at night. When it happened the 3rd time I was seen in an assessment unit and an X-ray said that there was a problem with my spine. An MRI followed which showed diffuse osteoporosis and osteoarthritis of several vertebrae. I then had testing for breathlessness, chest pressure and gastric symptoms. All good.

However Since April I have had random body pain and bruises over my ribs and extreme rib pain – after a mammogram. I was seen and told it was likely costochondritis. Since then I have developed extreme fatigue – almost collapsing – am breathless and last night discovered that my ribs on the right side are now severely painful.

My question is would it be ok to mention my concern about the possibility of MM with my GP – I see him on Friday for follow up and to discuss where we go with this.

Thank you so much for reading this and hope you can help me. I find it hard to advocate for myself.

terrys
    Participant

Hi Biffboff,

Yes, it would be completely ok to mention the possibility of MM to your GP. Unfortunately, late diagnosis of MM remains a great challenge. If it’s not MM then at least it’s been ruled out. If it is MM then treatment could be started asp!
    Good luck with getting some answers.
    Terry

biffboff
    Participant

Thank you Terry, I will mention it on Friday to the GP.

12fern34
    Participant

Hi biffboff,yes I would definitely mention this to your GP and if necessary get treatment started. Good luck

biffboff
    Participant

Thank you Fern it’s encouraging to get the same response from both of you.

mulberry
    Participant

Hi Biffboff, how did you get on with your GP appointment?
    My mother in law has symptoms that could have been myeloma, and my husband queried myeloma. The GP said it was at the back of his mind, and ordered appropriate tests. Thankfully my M-i-l was found not to have myeloma, but something ruled out is one step closer to correct diagnosis.
    It can be difficult to advocate for oneself, especially when we all know how stretched NHS staff are at the moment, but when we are worried, we owe it to ourselves to push for answers.

biffboff
    Participant

Hi Mulberry, Thank you for writing. 😊 My GP was excellent – he has been keeping an eye on me and although he said that he thought it was unlikely – he said that after he said that he would do the required tests to rule it in or out.

I’m glad that your Mum in law is ok.

I’ve been more worried than I realised. Thanks again.

biffboff
    Participant

Thanks to those of you who answered. A blood test has shown the need for further testing – lymphocytes outwith the range.

mulberry
    Participant

I hope you get answers soon. It’s very stressful knowing something is amiss, but not having a diagnosis or treatment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.