Inappropriate language

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  eve 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

Dear Webb Team,

When the site flags up inappropriate language could it be highlighted in some way? I have just typed a message and for the life of me I cannot see what is inappropriate about it but I cannot post it!:-S

Kind regards

David

webteam
    Keymaster

Hi David
    Personally I think the banned word list is a bit over the top in what it filters. It is a default list provided with the software that powers our website. I've been meaning to edit it for a while so it only contains really offensive words, the kind that nobody here would use in the context of the forum anyway.

In the mean while can you copy the text of the message and send it to me at stuart@myeloma.org.uk so I can see what the "offending" word is.

Thanks
    Stuart.

Perkymite
    Participant

found it, was a plumbing term used to refer to a tap that turns off water supply 😀 😀

webteam
    Keymaster

I get you David. Similar to the French chicken based dish with red wine. I think we could safely remove that one!

Stuart

brocho
    Participant

Hi Stuart I have had similiar problems posting inappropriate words in the past and it does get frustrating so any changes you can make to the list would be great Thanks Bridget

DaiCro
    Participant

It is very frustrating to be pulled up by something taken out of context and like David I have sat scratching my nose wondering where I have c*cked up. :-/

Personally I would rather that there was no such software applied… while I understand that people could be genuinely offended by coarse and inappropriate language I don't think that it should apply to people who have either reached the end of their tether or consort to swearing because it is the only way of showing the depth or extent of their pain or frustration.

I think we are all old enough to police ourselves and if someone is genuinely offended they could always drop a line to the web team who could ask the offender to tone the language down in an edit or, failing that, remove the offending post.

Just a thought. 😐

Dai.

eve
    Participant

Hi Everyone
    I agree completely some times I read it again and again,thinking what the h-e-l-l have I said,you could almost say heaven should be made offensive as both can be used in the wrong way.for eg: for heavens sake,is on a par with what the h-e-l-l-.and lets face it Tom told us all how to get round it,so if we wanted to swear away we could any way.
    When it first happened to me,My thoughts were I had offended someone!!!!!
    Love Eve

webteam
    Keymaster

Hi Folks
    I have turned off the inappropriate language filter. Ironically we have discovered some unacceptable words in our banned words list. The list came pre-defined with the software we use to drive our website and on closer inspection contains words which should not be blocked.

We will proceed from now on as Dai suggests, if anyone is offended by a post please send me a personal message or email me at webteam@myeloma.org.uk and I will look into it.

Cheers
    Stuart

Elizellen
    Participant

I wonder if we will all now react like in the Flanders & Swan song that starts with these words
    [quote]Ma's out, Pa's out, Let's talk rude[/quote]!

Lyrics here for anyone wondering 😉
    (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070527175030AAMvOX9)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Inappropriate language’ is closed to new replies.