Interesting

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  TerryMG 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Min
    Participant

Came across this item while browsing while bored and thought it was interesting as as you know Peters Mum died of MM too. Although she got to be grand old age of 78 before she succumbed

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/cancer-study-reveals-faulty-genes-183822621.html

tom
    Participant

Hi Min
    Thanks for that its an Interesting read, but am sure my Sons aint gonne be best pleased with me when I tell them Today 🙁

I asked when I was told I had MM if it is in the fanily and was told No but am hearing more and more folk telling us Dad/Uncle Brother had it 🙁

A Well as long as Kids have got a "Heads Up" on it

Tom xxx

eve
    Participant

Hi Min
    I read that article too.
    I think it has long been accepted that we all hold the ingredients within our bodies that can be cancer related,how it multiplies to full blown cancer related illness is not known,otherwise we would have an answer to Cancer.

I would like to see more research relating to the individual person,considering how many different examples of myeloma there are and how different treatments effect different patients,yet they are all treated exactly with the same format,a bit hit and miss!!!!!
    No consideration has been taken except age,to the treatment that is available,this is no choice and as in Slims case he wasted 5 months on treatment,that not only did not work,but increased the myeloma!!!!! .

If you read that article,you will see it says about the advancement of living longer,the % looks good,but I read it as only 17% have a chance of 10 years.May be interpretation is wrong!!!!
    They know there are different types of Myeloma and some are harder to control,so why are all myeloma,s being treated exactly the same??? Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

yes, very interesting. I am the first Male, in my family, to live past 55 in three generations that includes uncles. As far as I can ascertain, and you can never be sure about the diagnosis of death years ago, my brother, who died at 52 was the first to die of a cancer. My other brothers died of a Brain clot, 55, and Tuberculosis,19.

As far as I can see from my old family records nobody, male of female died of cancer until my Brother. That of course does not mean there is no link only that they did not get Myeloma in their life time and had they lived longer perhaps they would have.

It is a pity I will not live to see the benefits from the Genome projects, which I am sure will totaly change the treatment of illness as we know it.

Kindest regards ? Vasbyte

David

eve
    Participant

Hi David
    I think everyone judges there own life span on there parents,Slim and I were talking about it today,I said after the initial shock of being told you have Cancer,you become more acceptant,Slim answer was,he was the one with Cancer not me,and he never looked at it as a shock,his father was a soldier who died in the 2WW age 28,and Slim was a Commando Marine for 24 years,so his attitude was I have got away with it for 65 years.So it is how a person see,s there life,
    Lets hope with all the research ,they will find some answers,too late for some of our cyber friends,Love Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

How interesting Eve, I was in the Army for 17 years, 15 of them in the parachute Brigade. I was invalid out in 1978. I took the same attitude to Slim on my diagnosis. My biggest regret is that I will not be there for my wife when she needs me in the furture, and that thought makes me weep everytime.

Kindest reagrds – Vasbyte

David

zasrs
    Participant

Hi All
    Gordon died at 59 his father died 12 weeks later at 90, his mother is still alive, me bitter? You bet!!
    Gordon had a cousin and two 2nd cousin all of who died of blood cancers when young, i am sure there is some sort of gene link.

love to all sarah

eve
    Participant

Hi All
    Well if there is a link Slims must be from his Slavakien side,and we have no history there.
    I do not know if I am bitter,but Slims mum died last year age 84,she was not a very nice person,so it does seem a little unfair,but that sums up life sometimes.
    I know we worry about our partners David, managing, worrying about what the future holds,but that,s for the future some things you cannot do anything about,so why worry.People who go through life changing events and come out of them amazingly strong people.
    So just enjoy yourselves for what ever time is left,one year or twenty,at least with this threat hanging over us,we appreciate each other a lot more, We went to France today just for a day trip by train,as per usual Slim did far to much,so will take awhile to recover,makes me angry but I do appreciate,he tried his best to give us a day away from Myeloma,Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words Eve, and of course you are right. I have a wonderful caring Son and Daughter and they have tried to reassure me that they will look after their Mum I am not to worry. And, Mo is a strong willed lady but I still shed the odd tear when I think of her waking up alone. Whether I am shedding that tear for me I do wonder sometimes. Ahh well, Vasbyte.

Kindest regards

David

DaiCro
    Participant

Ditto David, absolutely ditto.

Dai.

ellen

The latest news section on our home page has a questions and answer section which may be of interest.

http://www.myeloma.org.uk/intro-to-myeloma/myeloma-news/research-results-from-myeloma-uk-funded-study-published-in-prest/

Glynj
    Participant

Reading the other articles makes better reading survival rates going up six fold will do me nicely. x

mhnevill
    Participant

I agree Glyn! When I read the first article Min directed us too I wasn't too impressed to read the stark survival expectations.

Let's all prove them wrong, and, David, who knows what is round the corner.

Thank you Ellen for looking out for us.

Love and long remissions to all my cyber friends on site.

Mavis xxxx

TerryMG
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I do not go onto our site very often. I attended the London Info Day soon after I was told I had relapsed within a few months of my SCT and before I started Velcade. The talk from Prof Gareth Morgan was very interesting to me and I could better understand while some therapies work for some people and not others. I spoke to him and his colleague who know my consultant at Sidcup. I volunteered to have my DNA taken to add to the sample numbers which they were asking for. However, this has not happened yet but I would like to contribute. By luck at lunch I sat opposite Dr Jacob Laubach who is doing similar work in the USA at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (and a colleague of one of the men reporting on one of the 3 ASH video clip mentioned else where on this site). They now do the DNA test on every new patient as this does help with treatment as we need targeted treatment as ?one size does not fit all?. Diagonally opposite to my left was Dr Rakesh Popat who is Prof Schey?s counterpart in University College London. On my left was a lady from Luxemburg who is head of a team who are studying treatments for Luxemburg and Germany. There were many representatives from Europe at the Info Day which was very worth while. I was very encouraged about what was happening and how everyone was sharing information and experiences at a time when I was not certain what may be happening to me next. We did not spend all the time talking about Myeloma as MG?s did get into the conversation and they told me about their MG experiences too. Now at Velcade end of cycle 2, my Igg 6.7 from 34?.. Have a good Christmas?.. Terry
    🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Interesting’ is closed to new replies.