Just Diagnosed

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 122 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  mulberry 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 121 through 123 (of 123 total)
  • Author

lottie
    Participant

Thank you Mulberry. It was an awful and sad year. My sister suffered so much, she lost the ability to talk and use her fingers, very tough to watch. She is at peace now.

We had our Christmas with youngest son, daughter in law and two grandsons, first time for a few years so that was enjoyable.

We are off to France next week to see my daughter in law and granddaughter so really looking forward to that. Our first holiday for years, bit nervous but it has to be done. Eldest son split up wth my French daughter in law, so she has returned home to South of France. 2023 was a very stressful year.

I do hope you are keeping well.

Hope 2024 is a good year for you too with many more to come too.

Xxxx

kookie47
    Participant

Good morning,
    My mother has just been told by her GP over the phone that she has Myeloma, we have not been to see a consultant yet, I’m looking for advice on what to expect or to ask, I’m not completely clueless on this as my father passed away seven years old of Acute Myeloid Leukaemia so trying to wrap my head round going back to a haematology unit. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

mulberry
    Participant

Hi Kookie47

You may get more responses to your post if you start a new thread with this message.

Although GPs are often the first to mention the myeloma diagnosis, they are not necessarily well informed. The senior GP in my practice told me that I could be dead within 3 months, that was 6 years ago. Terrifying at the time!

Your mother is likely to get a quick appointment to see a haematologist (& may already now have that appt) but there will be a series of confirmatory tests before a certain diagnosis is given & treatment planned.
    The one that takes some time to process is a bone marrow biopsy, not one we patients relish, but is made more bearable if time is given for the anaesthetic to work, or if gas and air is given. It usually takes about 4-5 weeks for these results to be available.
    Patients will also be given scans to check for bone lesions, more blood tests to check how quickly myeloma is progressing. (This can vary from extremely slowly, even taking years, to quickly taking weeks)
    If the patient has any serious end organ damage (very high calcium levels, serious kidney damage, serious anaemia or sizable bone lesions) treatment will start before all the test results are back, otherwise it’s a safe cancer to wait for a few weeks.
    In terms of treatment, it’s likely to depend on your mother’s age and frailty.
    If she is under 70 or extremely fit for her age, it could be recommended that she has a stem cell transplant after 4 (or so) cycles of induction therapy of Daratumumab, Velcade, Thalidomide and dexamethasone.
    If your mother is significantly older,or younger but with other serious health issues, it may be determined that she’d do better with a less intensive treatment regime, of which there are several.
    The aim of all of these, intensive or not, are to reduce the Myeloma level to as low as possible, either until it is imperceptible on blood tests (called ‘remission’) or until it is at a low, stable level. Although statistically uk patients still have longer remissions after stem cell transplants, the process does have the potential for bad side effects (bone marrow damage, potential for secondary cancers later, doesn’t always work), and the approval/availability of recent new treatments are making SCT a more questionable treatment. More lines of treatment are now likely to be available to all of us, and with maintenance now the norm, continual treatment will be usual for both those who have stem cell transplants and those who don’t.
    It is heartening that people are living longer with myeloma than ever before, although it’s still exceptional, one of my friends who was not expected to come out of hospital at diagnosis, is about to celebrate living with the disease for 20 years and our local support group has quite a few months members who’ve lived with the disease for over 12 years now.

Viewing 3 posts - 121 through 123 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.