Losing dad after 19 years of MM

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hmj 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

hmj
    Participant

I’m just new to this forum, although over the years as I have gotten older I have read many people’s posts to try to understand more about this disease and see how other people were coping with things. We just lost my wonderful Dad after 19 years of MM.  It all seemed so quick, one minute we were chatting the next day he had deteriorated to the point that he was on a morphine pump and I’m worried about if he was aware that we sat at his bedside for 22 hours, to make sure he was never on his own. My dad was the strongest man I know. He not once complained about all the horrendous treatment he endured. He had two stem cell transplants and every single drug and drug combination they could give. He had a DVT due to the Thalidomide, he broke his jaw due to complications from other drugs, he crawled to the bathroom when the pain was so bad but he never,ever complained about it. All the blood vessels ruptured in his eyeball due to such a low platelet count and he was in terrible discomfort, i think it looked at a lot worse but he would never let us know. We were really lucky to have had our dad for as long, I read all too often that people don’t get long at all We had the best of treatment between our local GP and the NHS and what also played a huge part was my dads resilience and perhaps sheer stubbornness which kept him going. He had the constant attitude that this disease was not going to rule him and i firmly believe that if you have a strong mind and give yourself goals it really helps. When dad was first diagnosed my sister and I were only young, I was 12, and dad decided that he was not going to give up he had mum and kids to look after and he was going to keep going as long as he could. In the end they said it was acute renal failure and we could see that he was tired by then, it was a long fight but he got 7 years out of his first stem cell transplant. I miss my dad so much, we were extremely close, he managed to walk me down the aisle in march and it was the happiest day even though he was so tired he could barely stand at points.

At his service there were grown men with tears and this is just a measure of how much people loved dad. That sort of thing helps, to see the hundreds that turned up to say goodbye. Its the hardest thing in the world but I was glad to be with dad at the end. I feel like things will never be the same, and i can’t believe it even happened even though 3 weeks have passed. I want to live my life like my Dad, he loved life and he didn’t let cancer rule him, he didn’t sit and complain about his illness, something that people always commented on. He was an amazing, generous and brave man and has left an ache i think will never leave. But to anyone fighting this illness please keep positive, don’t let the bugger get you down, I saw how this attitude helped keep dad on his feet for long and i hope that more people can manage to keep going and enjoy every moment of life.

always with me dad

xxx

tonyf
    Participant

HMJ, deepest sympathies to you and to your family for the loss of your beloved dad. From your post it sounds as though he was a true fighter. To survive for 19 years should I hope give encouragement to other readers on this site.
    How wonderful for you to express your feelings about your dad.
    Wishing you the best.
    Regards
    Tony F

hmj
    Participant

Thanks Tony,

I hope it does help the other people living and fighting this disease, a strong mind can do wonders,

best

hmj

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Hmj

I am so sorry to read of your Dad’d passing, but it is obvious he fought this dreadful Mm to the last.

It was generous of you to post at this sad time, because as Tony says, the story of your Dad’s 19 years will be an encouragement to so many of us.

I am sure that you will have inherited your Dad’s strength and determination to make life count, in spite of all it’s difficulties.

Do keep bringing the good memories to mind.

Lots of love.

Mavis x

hmj
    Participant

Thank you Mavis,

Its such a difficult thing to live with serious illness for so long, you almost don’t know what to do with yourself afterwards, like cancer was our 5th family member, always hanging around in the backgroud waiting to show its face again. But people do beat the odds and I hope that one day this will not just be a treatable disease, that it will be a curable disease and that it comes around soon to lessen the pain and worry of those fighting it and those watching their loved ones fighting it.
    h x

Gill
    Participant

I am sorry that your Dad has died. I am sure your post will make people more hopefull. He actually lived on for 19 years after diagnosis. Let’s hope for a breakthrough soon. My husband died 4years after diagnosis aged 57

Gill

hmj
    Participant

Hi Gill,

I have not been on here for a while so just read your post now, and I was sorry to read about your husband. I look forward to a day when everyone who is treated for this disease can be given a longer life, a cure even. Its such a varying disease, 4 years is not enough time. I hope that you are managing life ok, i hear that life becomes more bearable as time goes on but I will be a long time before i experience that.

Take care

hmj

bernard
    Participant

HMJ. Wow. How wonderful to read what you have written which brought tears to my eyes. 19 years is the longest I have ever heard anyone surviving with MM. I was diagnosed last year at the age of 47 and I have 2 kids, one 18 and one 15 and one of my objectives is to be able to walk my daughter down the isle at some point if I could get 19 years I might do it but who knows. The disease is horrible and your dad was obviously very strong and brave and credit to him for that. I am currently in remission after a transplant 2 months ago. Let’s hope I have the strength of your father.

Thank you for sharing.

hmj
    Participant

Hi Bernard,

Thank you for your reply to my post. Very happy to hear things are moving in the right direction and that treatment has put you in remission. My dad got 7years after the first transplant,aim for that and keep postive. Please take your time getting back to a bit more normality,it’s a huge knock on you body,allow yourself time to recover and create new goals to focus on. I think it’s better to be diagnosed younger,your body can fight more.47 is young for the disease and I believe from experience that this will stand you in good stead to walk you daughter down the aisle. That can be something to give you strength whenever you have some low points. Have you spoken much with your kids about your mm? It’s always a difficult conversation but if you feel able I think it will help them. My dad’s thing was to treat the disease like an inconvenience and he never really talked with us about it. That was his way but as we got older I would have liked to talk more. I mean he always spoke about his treatment and when check ups were,but he never really spoke about any fears or anything. Only in the last few weeks did I see a big difference in his outlook. Your kids will give you the strength to fight on,even on the hard days. Please keep in touch,let me know how you are,and thank you for your kind words about my dad.

best

Heather

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Losing dad after 19 years of MM’ is closed to new replies.