Loss of taste

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kumarankittravel 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

barrettdg
    Participant

Loss of taste. I am two months into a one year oral chemo trial and was warned that my sense of taste may be affected. They weren\’t wrong!! Everything tastes bland and texture is peculiar with certain foods. I\’m sure this is probably pretty common but can anybody give any indication how long it lasts and whether the taste buds eventually recover. Many thanks

bear
    Participant

You have not told us what you are taking!

barrettdg
    Participant

I am taking Ixazomib, Lenalidomide and Dexamethasone. Don’t know which one is causing lack of taste but noticed that taste has mainly returned in the last couple of days. It seems to come and go. Is anybody else experiencing the same?

kh0305

Hi,
    My dad is on the same combination and is experiencing changes to his taste too – finding foods bland, metallic and some with a minty type flavour to them.

He also had changes to his taste buds when he went through his first round of treatment back in 2013 but his taste did return with no permanent effects so hopeful this will be the same case this time around xx

barrettdg
    Participant

Thank you for that. Very reassuring.

kh0305

No problem. Glad it helped reassure you and hopefully you’ll be able to enjoy all your foods again soon xx

mulberry
    Participant

My taste buds were definitely affected during induction (velcade, lenalidomide, Dex) and even more so during the stem cell transplant process. I often had a metallic taste, dulled taste and I craved spicy food. My taste went back to normal once I was just on low dose lenalidomide maintenance – although I still eat a lot of spicy food, more than I used to.

tony642

Hi there,

I also experienced the same thing when I was on chemo. However, things did eventually return to normal once the treatment had ended. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Regards, Tony

barrettdg
    Participant

Following on from my previous comments I now find myself in a bit of a vicious circle :- Loss of taste = loss of appetite = weight loss. Plus occassional bouts of diarrhoea. Is anybody finding the same symptoms and, if so, any idea how long it is likely to last?

kh0305

Hi barrettdg
    Dad definitely had some loss of appetite as he’s always eaten loads and definitely intake dropped and subsequently saw weight loss. We got him some complan to help maintain his weight when he didn’t feel like eating and tried to go with stronger tasting foods and he was prescribed loperamide to help with the diarrhoea.
    He still suffers some gastro side effects but his appetite is definitely back to where it was despite the taste buds still no being quite normal. He has 3 rounds of chemo left so hopefully not too much longer before taste gets back to normal.
    Al in all the no appetite/weight loss probably lasted maybe 6 months. Also make sure to flag it to your medical team!
    Hoping you feel more like eating again soon. The meds really do a number on your diet 🙁
    Take care xx

kumarankittravel
    Participant

Loss of taste, also known as ageusia, can have various causes, including medical conditions, medications, and lifestyle factors. Here are some possible solutions:

Seek medical advice: If you are experiencing a sudden loss of taste or it persists for an extended period of time, it is essential to consult a medical professional. They can help determine the underlying cause and suggest the appropriate treatment.

Address any underlying medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as sinus infections, allergies, and neurological disorders, can cause loss of taste. Treating these underlying conditions may help restore your sense of taste.

Adjust medications: Some medications can cause loss of taste as a side effect. Speak with your doctor about adjusting your medication or finding an alternative if this is the case.

Maintain oral hygiene: Poor oral hygiene can lead to a buildup of bacteria and plaque, which can affect your sense of taste. Brushing twice a day, flossing, and using mouthwash can help improve your oral hygiene.

Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption: Smoking and drinking alcohol can negatively impact your sense of taste. Quitting smoking and reducing alcohol intake can improve your overall health and help restore your sense of taste.

Incorporate strong flavors: Incorporating strong flavors into your diet can help stimulate your taste buds. Try adding spices, herbs, or acidic foods like citrus fruits to your meals.

Try taste training: Taste training involves exposing yourself to different flavors and textures to help retrain your taste buds. This can involve trying new foods, eating with different utensils, and paying attention to the flavors and textures of your food.

It’s important to note that the loss of taste can have various causes, and some cases may be more challenging to treat than others. Therefore, it is advisable to seek medical advice if you are experiencing a loss of taste.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.