Low potassium

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rosieb123 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi all

For over 2 months franks potassium has been quite low, consequently no Zometa for 2 months. Four lots of meds have made no difference so the have started tests to try and find out what is going on. His bloods have dropped a little and his mood is grumpy 😛 . From what I gather low potassium can affect the kidneys. Has anyone had experience of his. When he was having SCT he had to have infusion of potassium

Would appreciate any info – something me to worry about

Love Jean

eve
    Participant

Hi Jean

Slim has had a low potassium for a few months,plus sepsis twice,so I am connecting it to him not being well,although the last infection was unknown,but 60 percent are not known!!!!

Slims potassium levels have been as low as 2.3. They should be at least 3.5 ,the tablets they have to have are not nice,I tried a sip and it burns the throat and upsets the stomach ,no doctor has been able to explain why his potassium is low as his diet is rich in potassium ,plus he now has extra potassium from the health food shop,it only relates to 20 percent of daily intake but it's better than nothing,bananas apricots,salmon,greens,all good.

Watch out for heart palpitations,with low potassium,very important,how are the rest of Franks bloods ????, Love Eve

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi eve

I have at long lost the plot (3 year old grand daughter is going to buy me a new pink plot) Frank said it's not the potassium but the phosphates that are low. On notes from last 2 weeks doctor said low phosphate and yesterday sai the potassium is still low. Oh boy will have to find out but which ever one it is Frank cat get the Zometa

2 weeks ago bloods were hb 135. Wcc 4.4' Pl 144, neutrophils 2.3 everything else was ok
    Yesterday Hb 136, Wcc 3.6, Pl 135 neutrophils 1.6 registrar said potassium was .58 maybe she meant phosphates. I Cahill hVe to wait another two weeks to find out what the hell they mean

My very best to Slim Nd you
    Love Jean

eve
    Participant

Hi Jean
    Slims phosphate plus potassium were both low,I think it's a combined thing,you could ring Ellen to find out!!!,do not understand the number .58 but looking at Slims results they all have little stars by them and at the bottom says abnormal!!!

Try not to worry to much,a diet of bananas and apricots each day will help,they only put you on a potassium drip if in patient,Slim has been having Zometa all this time so I cannot see were that fits in?????

Slim is getting use to the potassium tablets,he uses a lot of water,and let's the fizz settle then drinks it very slowly ,better on a full stomach.he goes to the hospital tomorrow so hope it's picked up,will start 6 cycle of CDR if bloods ok,plus Zometa as usual. Love Eve

tom
    Participant

Hi Jean and Frank

Well its a bugger that no one knows what poor old frank has wrong with him he he, but to be fair its still early days after his Big Treatment really and am sure everything will pop into place real soon, keep the fluids going

Love tom Onwards and upwards xxx

rosieb123
    Participant

hi Jean
    my husbands potassium has been low a couple of times usually when he has a tummy bug and a drip soon puts it right, but my daughters potassium dropped to 2.2 at one point and she ended up in the cardiac ward. shes now has daily meds to keep it right. [she doesn't have myeloma] Eves right it needs to be between 3.5 and 5 so if the level is 58 it doesn't sound like its the potassium. Try not to worry hopefully his levels will come back to normal soon.
    thinking about you both
    love Rosie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Low potassium’ is closed to new replies.