Massage Treatments

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mriampositive 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jennya
    Participant

Hi

Bit of a strange question but would I be ok getting a back massage?

I’ve found that after my first four cycles of DVTD my neck and shoulders are quite tense and could do with a massage to free them off.

The lady who does my massages normally said I should check before having one as I haven’t been since before I was diagnosed.

Thank you

sandy123
    Participant

Hi Jennya,

I think this is a really important question but it can be oh so hard to get information about therapeutic treatments suitable for myeloma patients.

Before Covid, I belonged to a health club which offered massages. One of the therapists there had been trained in what I thought she called ‘Teapot Massage’ but is in fact tpot https://www.tpot.org.uk/ which is meant to be especially appropriate for people with cancer. Obviously with cancer we don’t want to stir anything (bad) up which can be a concern with massages, and I think this is taken into account in the training.

I had one tpot back massage and it was really nice and relaxing but then along came the pandemic and my membership expired.

More recently, I have been going to a reflexologist who has a treatment room on the side of her house and always does a Covid test before I attend for an appointment. I find this is very good for general relaxation and for the management of treatment side effects. I would not say that it works on neck on shoulder tension, which I always have, as directly as the massage did.

As with anything, do check with your healthcare team and I hope you also find the tpot website helpful

mulberry
    Participant

If you have a Cancer Centre or Maggie’s Centre locally, they may arrange massage sessions specifically for cancer patients by therapists with special training.
    Like Sandy123 I’ve been having reflexology, which I have found wonderful.

mriampositive
    Participant

I have been having issues with cramp in my legs and hands, I am going for some massage therapy at Cancer Centre Scotland. They told me to check with my medical team and I was advised that I should not have any deep massage and should not use any essential oils but fine to go ahead.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.