multiple myeloma no Immunodeficiency

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mulberry 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I found out I had Myeloma back in March 2019 when my right arm snapped at the ball socket. Prior to that my arm had been aching for about 8 months on and off and I had put it down to repetitive strain.

4 months before my arm snapped there was a bad flu bug going around and all my friends including myself came down with it, but I recovered quicker than most of them. My question is this… Given that
    Multiple myeloma causes Immunodeficiency why did I recover so well, are there cases of people with MM not getting any Immunodeficiency problems?

mulberry
    Participant

I don’t think anyone knows the answer.
    In theory my immune system is depressed, my IgA & IgM levels have been low since I was diagnosed over 2 years ago. However I’ve not had any infections in years, and only caught one virus, whilst in hospital after SCT I caught parainfluenza, from which I recovered in a normal timeframe, despite a severely compromised immune system.
    I think this is an area researchers have been looking at, but I haven’t seen any results. My understanding is that
    myeloma is cancer of plasma cells, the cells that go on to create our immune systems, but our suceptibility to infection seems to vary as widely as our bone involvement, kidney damage etc. Just another way myeloma creates an individual path for us all?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  mulberry.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.