mum is in hospital

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  tom 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

gina45
    Participant

Took mum to the doctors tonight as she has not been well for a while. She has been going to the toilet all the time and is going lots in the night. she has not eaten for 3 days and is being sick.she is also constantly breathless.
    The doctor did her blood pressure and said it was fine. Her temp was high at 39.2. there is blood and protein in her water sample. The doctor said that she needs to go to the hospital as she obviously has an infection and because she is being sick will probably have to go on a drip. We have just left the hospital. She has had a ecg and bloods done and blood pressure. Her blood pressure is 80 over 42 so it is low. They have kept her in and we will hopefully have the results tomorrow.
    Im sorry to moan again but i feel you all understand better because you all are going through it also.
    Thanks for listening
    Gina x

AMcGuire
    Participant

Hi Gina.

Oh dear, your poor mum must feel really washed out just now, bless her. Her lack of fluids will have likely caused the low blood pressure – my John had terrible diahhorea a few weeks ago so he was also admitted to hospital for IV fluids, he passed out on the ward and thats when they discovered his blood pressure was low just due to lack of fluids.

Much as its horrible passing on our loves ones to the care of the hospital or hospice staff, it really is the best thing for them (I'm as much preaching to myself here after beating myself up on leaving John at the hospice earlier). They'll be able to pinpoint your mums infection and sort that out for her and ofcourse have her plugged in to IV fluids too which after just a few hours can make all the difference. Sounds like some sort of kidney infection (though don't quote me).

I'm sure by the morning your mums care team will have all the answers for you and will already have started her on the road to recovery.

Sending healing thoughts and love
    Angelina xx

ps. more than willing to listen, you're not moaning at all just sharing your experience and yes we do understand xx

brocho
    Participant

Dear Gina sorry mum is feeling lousy , she must be worn out and you too with worry But at least she is in the best place to get treatment and a couple of days on iv fluids and antibiotics will have her back on form She seems such a lively lady I cant imagine her being down for long Please give her my best wishes and hoping she get well very soon You never moan Gina bless you and if you cant share with us then who? try and get some rest yourself love Bridget x

eve
    Participant

Hi Gina

Sorry to hear about your mum,you must be so worried,Low BP is a sign of infection,read my bit on bp.Slims infection was left to long,it seems if they have caught your mums in good time,you must have a good doctor.
    I know you are worried,but fluids and antibiotics is the answer,through a drip because it works faster.do not worry if your mum is not herself,lack of fluids and infection,is not nice,once they have infection under control you should see an improvement,If you are not happy ask for cat scan to be done,shows any problems with lungs,as your mum is out of breath,but I am sure they will do one,to be on the save side.
    I know were you are Gina,so you have a moan any time you want,:-)
    If you are not happy with the way things are going make a fuss,you have to do what you think is best for your mum.

Keep us posted eve

Keep us posted and wishing you mum a speedy recovery eve

gina45
    Participant

Thank you all for your replies, you are a great support.
    Been to MAU at the minute, her chest xray is clear and no problems with the ECG. Her temp is 41 so very high and her blood pressure still low. They said there is definitely an infection. She is on a drip and has fluids, paracetamol and antibiotics so hopefully she will start to feel a little better.
    They said they are sure it is the myeloma that is causing this so they have referred her to the hemotology dept. They will go to MAU to see her. Im assuming that when they do they will start her back on treatment and hopefully she will be on the road to recovery very soon.
    Thank you again for your support it is most appreciated
    Gina x

BADGER
    Participant

gina

so sorry to hear about your mum I hope the hospital sort out her infection pretty quickly It must be frightening for her and so worrying for you keep your chin up
    Love Jo xxx

tom
    Participant

Hi Gina and Mum

Sorry to read Mum has had to go into hospital. but am also pleased that Mum is now on the mend:-D

Its a bugger this MM we need to drink more than we can (well i find it hard to drink 3ltr a day) know when I was in hospital i asked to be put on the drip cos I found it hard to drink what they wanted/needed me to.

And Gina trust me I have never noticed a moan nor a whing from any of our "Online" Friends so dont stop doing what you are doing cos your problem shared is one that we might need to know about later.

Look after yourself as well as your Mum

Love and Hugs sent

Tom xxx

gina45
    Participant

Thank you again for your support and advice. Mum is coming home tomorrow its been a long week. The infection mum had had gone into her blood so she had to have a drip with stronger antibiotics. she will hopefully be going home tomorrow as long as her blood pressure and temp stay ok.She was in floods of tears today and sent for us as the consultant that she has at the moment went to see her and without pulling a curtain round her or having a nurse or family with her told her she would be starting treatment very soon, she will be on velcade, he told her then just went. Me and my sister went to see Steve the hemotology nurse and he came down to the ward. He was brilliant, he explained what will happen and he will be doing it. mum was a lot happier.
    They are giving her chance to recover from this infection and then she will be going in twice in a week for a fortnight then she will have a week off then the same again for at least 4 cycles.
    Hopefully she will start to feel better and her paraproteins will go down.
    So a busy and worrying time ahead but we will get there.
    Gina xx

eve
    Participant

Hi Gina

Consultants often have brains but no common sense,sad but true.:-P

Glad to here your mums on the mend,and I hope the treatment goes well.
    Been to doctors this morning,looks if Slim has infection,just waiting on results.should know by 5 this evening.
    best wishes eve

gina45
    Participant

Thank you eve, stay positive thats what we have to do.
    I hope that slim is ok, there is nothing worse than not being able to do anything you feel so helpless. Please let me know how it goes wont you
    Gina x

eve
    Participant

hi Gina
    Hope you mums out and is on the mend,:-)

MOnday,Tuesday and Wednesday at doctors,no infection,but blood counts done,changed doctor in practice,feel someone is listening to me at last,
    Slims gone from one extreme to another from D&V and general feeling ill and BP low.Now feels much better,but no bowel movements since Sunday,been dosing up on Lactulose,still no sign,you watch it always happens on weekends:-P
    Will be watching him,as just finished Dex.Hospital on Monday for bloods,then Wednesday for infusion and tablets.

My daughter told me I would become a institutionalised carer over a period of time,because of the amount of time I spend at doctors and hospital,and she was right,I no long get angry at people not doing there job properly,things not being done on time,its become the norm.I was talking to her yesterday,and she said welcome to the club mum,It made me realise,this must be a condition well recognised within the health service.I have heard the expression concerning old people going into homes.So if anybody ask me in future I am an Institutionalised carer:-( May be that is why sometimes I feel no one is listening, best Wishers to your mum

Min
    Participant

Eve when all else fails, buy some suppositories from the chemist. If they fail too see the Dr!
    They are just glycerin and something or other but they worked on Peter after a mammoth 4 days and lots of pain.
    Love MIn

eve
    Participant

Hi Min

He will not let me stick anything up his bottom LOL he must be getting better his dignity is coming back,!!!!;-)
    Seriously Min its a bit of a fight with Slim,he takes so much,just does not want to try any more,looks if its starting to work,should do drinks it out of bottle>:-(
    As for weight gained some then had v&d and lost it.Sorry cannot help you with Peters problems,it couldn,t be reflux? Slim takes tablets for that and suffers from hiccups all the time,hurt his ribs so much he thought he had broken them,but that turned out to be pneumonia ,Keep well min,best wishers eve

gina45
    Participant

Hi Eve, hope things are going ok with slim,its a fight all the time isnt it and you sort one thing out then another comes along. But we all keep positive and fighting.

Mum is back home now she is relieved, she did stay in an extra day as they did a ultra scan on her kidneys, i havent heard anything so they must be ok. she did have an inflamed bladder. Was sent home with antibiotics and is happy. But she hasnt been out yet she still feels a bit lightheaded. We are now waiting for the phonecall for her to start her velcade,hopefully when she starts treatment she will start feeling much better,fingers crossed.
    Please keep me updated on slim,its always nice to talk to others who understand.
    Tom you are an inspiration always fighting and always positive, please keep us posted on how you are doing, and thank you for your kind words.
    Gina x

brocho
    Participant

Hi Gina great to hear mum is home now , and she will soon be back to her old self , but it may take a little time after being so poorly Hopefully it wont be too long before she is on Velcade and it works its magic for her Please give her my best wishes love Bridget x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘mum is in hospital’ is closed to new replies.