Mum is starting Stem Cell transplant x

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tom 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

onlyme
    Participant

Hi to you all… Its ONLY ME !!

Mum has started this week with her stem cell transplant.. Hickman Line went in and today she is starting with the high dose therapy…

I just wondered if anyone could offer any words of advice or words of wisdom what to expect.

Obviously I am a little bit anxious for her. and am going to be by her side… if she wants me too, of course!! My dad is doing well altho he looks a little lost at times.. So I am there for them both..

The collection will be done at City hospital Notts, in couple of weeks… Anyone got any tips or advice there too…

Lots of love to you all.

Only Me
    !!!
    xxxx

susan123
    Participant

Hi onlyme,

I had my sct 2.5 years ago and I am still in remission at this moment. I will try to list a few tips for you,

1. Sucking ice cubes whilst having high dose therapy before receiving stem cells back can prevent an event of painful mouth ulcers later, also use the mouthwash povided.

2. Good hygiene is very important, so try to shower daily and keep hands clean, to stop infections, maybe using flip flops in the shower to prevent picking up infections on the feet.

3. Let the nurses know as soon as you feel any sickness as they have lots of different anti sickness drugs, don't suffer in silence !!!

4. Take in lots of things to do , eg magazines, crosswords, books etc.and also lots of pj's or nightdresses as she will need them.

5. Always listen to your body, when you are tired rest, and don't be worried about telling family and friends not to visit if you don't feel like talking.

6. If her hair starts to fall out, don't be afraid to ask the nurses to shave it all off , as it is very distressing to keep seeing your hair on the pillow as it starts to fall out.

I hope these things help, and I am sure other people will help with other tips, I wish your mother all the very best with her sct, it will be all be worth it to feel reasonably normal once again.

Take care,

Sue xx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Only me!

Can't offer any suggestions but just wanted to send your Mum my love – she is a very brave lady.

Mavis x

tom
    Participant

Hi Only me
    Think Susan has covered most of it (if not all) its amazing how much you forget about what and when after a few months down the line? or is that just me:-S

Good Luck with the transplant.

Love and Hugs

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mum is starting Stem Cell transplant x’ is closed to new replies.