Mum starts SCT….. your thoughts please

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jono 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

roseanna06
    Participant

Hello,

I was hoping for some advice. My mum goes in to Kings on Sunday for her stem cell transplant and I don’t really know what to expect. I really would like to buy her something for when she’s in hospital to to cheer her up and to keep her going but don’t know what?  Could anyone who’s been through the SCT tell me what would be nice to get her to keep her going  and how to keep her spirits up or any advice please

Thank you in advance, Roseanna.

roseanna06
    Participant

I’d also like to know if I will be able to go and see my mum and what to expect

Thank you,Roseanna .

jmsmyth
    Participant

Hi Roseanna

I think it depends on the hospital. When my hubby was in for SCt, for about 1 week I was the only one allowed to visit him. Before I went into his room I had to go into an anti room and put on a gown and gloves. Every time I left his room I had to go through the same thing. He didn’t and at times couldn’t eat, so,I brought in his favourite foods (if it was a meal nurses had to be told that it was home cooked and not fast food.

Hope all goes well with your mum
    Best wishes
    Jean x

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hi Roseanne

Hope all goes well with your mum’s stem cell transplant.

I had my transplant 18 months ago aged 59. All went well but I was quite tired afterwards for a few months.

They do say that everyone’s experience is different and for me boredom was never an issue. The medical and support staff are in fairly often and there were times when I felt tired and just wanted to doze.

The hospital may have a leaflet explaining what to take in and what not to bring. I found a small portable radio and earphones useful and of course a mobile phone and charger to keep in touch with family. Family photos and drawings from my young grandchildren also helped to keep my spirits up.

The ward team should be able to answer any specific questions about your mum’s stay. They are the experts and are there to help. Don’t be afraid to ask.

Advice is also available from the Myeloma UK helpline and there may also be a local support group.

Hope this is helpful and that all goes well.

David S

annlynn
    Participant

hy rossanna I had my transplant in the freeman newcastle last august. my husband and daughter and son came in every day i was in seventeen days good days. and a few awfull days . you dont say how old mam is ? my daughter brought me pretty turbans for as soon as my hair came out . lovely shower gells from molton brown. with excotic. names to remind me of the far flung. places id still plan to go to . perfume. which i wore everyday after shower. no mater how rough i felt i was in my own room and the nurses loved to come in. be ause of the nice smells. hospital always smells awfull.dont they . i had magazines but like david said somedays you jus cant be bothered. you just rest your body and let it repair .The strong chemo isnt pleasent. and take her loads of ice pops to suck before during and after the stuff goes in. it really helps with the mouth problems . Remember when mam hits the bottom which most people do she will turn a corner. and improve .I found rebeccas posts helpfull when i went through mine she kept me positive .. ps. a nice cosy wrap is handy as it was chilly in the room at times hospital bedding. a bit impersonal. so something pretty xx. hope it goes well for your mum. best wishes. ann xx

jcraddock
    Participant

Hello,

I had my stem cell last November in Kings. your mum will probably be in for three weeks. The staff were great and the room had a TV and Wfi connection.

Things that I found useful:-

Thermos jug for ice, Tena pants,toilet wipes,boiled sweets for actual transplant,cotton sleeping hats.

For the boredom it will depend on how she feels each day..there is a trolley that comes round everyday selling newspapers and magazines. An Internet connection if she uses e mail,FaceTime or Skype.

your mum could write a manual on how to manoeuvre the drip trolley..could never understand why all four wheels wanted to go in different directions!

it is a big emotional roller coaster but with the staff and family your mum will be fine.

jono
    Participant

I was able to take my own quilt and pillow that made a difference

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mum starts SCT….. your thoughts please’ is closed to new replies.