Mum update

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gina45 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

gina45
    Participant

Hi all, well where do i start, mum is still on the revlimid but she is now back in hospital with a nasty infection on her lung. she also has fluid in there again so may have to have another chest drain.
    The most worrying thing though is the doctor has told us today that mum has growths on her lung,liver and gallbladder. She is being referred for this but at the moment she is going to a respiritory ward to sort her infection and fluid out. Mum doesnt know about this at the moment.
    The question is are these from the myeloma or secondary cancer, we dont know yet but are very worried as to what they can be other than these two things. Sorry to be on a downer but we arent really seeing any way out of this.
    Thank you all for the support that you give us it is most appreciated
    Gina xx

brocho
    Participant

Dear Gina I am so sorry mum is going through a rough time again , you must be worried sick The news about the growths must have been a terrible shock , I hope they can give you more information about them soon and hopfully they will be able to treat them . Sending you lots of love and hugs and please give mum a hi from me , tell her we are all thinking of her love Bridgetx

eve
    Participant

Hi Gina.
    So sorry to hear about your mum,you and your sister must be very worried,I can understand you not telling your mum until you know if its new cancer.
    It does not sound good if its hit main organs,try to keep positive there is so much they can do these days,have they tested for this before,because she has been having lung problems for awhile.?

Lets hope there is treatment available,there is so much they can do these days,will be thinking of you and your sister and mum.Love Eve

gina45
    Participant

Thanks ladies,mum is still in hospital at the moment.we have been told mum has pockets of fluid in her lung, they wont drain because they would have to do different drains for each pocket.they said that it would be to traumatic even in an healthy person.mum is still being treated for the infection.we have been told to make an appointment with mums myeloma consultant about her growths etc. the hospital said as he knows mums history he would be able to sit down and chat with us.
    they have taken mum of the revlimid again obviously because she is ill and it wouldnt benefit her.
    But she is doing ok and we will be seeing her today again. Will be making an appointment to see what is going to happen.
    I hope you are both ok and keep in touch and take care of yourselves xx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Gina

So sorry that your Mum has taken this turn for the worse. I do hope you have a good converstion with her Consultant. One thiong I would say, although it's not easy, if they suggest not to do very difficult treatment that you go with it. There does come a time, hopefully not yet for your Mum, when the treatment comes worse that the illness. Sometimes being as pain free as possible is more important.

All love to all the family.

Mavis

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Gina,

I am sorry that your Mum is going through such a rough time and that you have to carry the burden of uncertainty.

I think that the decision to take her off treatment for her MM is right while they treat her infection and then hopefully clear her lungs… but its a two edged sword regarding the question of the growths… if they are MM related then the sooner she gets back on treatment the better but in the meantime the last thing she needs is the general feeling of any tiredness/illness brought on by the side-effects of Revlimid.

I wish your Mum well and hope that the sequence of priorities and treatments to clear her lungs gets her back on Revlimid and back on her feet as soon as possible.

Regards

Dai.

gina45
    Participant

Thank you all for your kind words and support at this difficult time.
    When we got to the hospital yesterday the nurse gave us a number as the consultant wants to speak with us,we are waiting for them to ring us back with that appointment.we have an appointment at 4pm today with mums mm consultant,so hopefully today we will have some answers.
    Mum is now in her own room as they say that her immunity is very low and they feat she may get some infection/bug .Mum said that the doctor told her he may take a sample from her lung, i am assuming that we will be told this when we speak with them. Mum was a little upset yesterday her feet are very swollen and she is on oxygen, its very upsetting. But we made her comfortable, she seemed a little more happier when we left.
    So we just don't know, we still try to be positive but are scared as to what we are going to hear.
    thank you again for your support it is most appreciated.
    I hope that you are all ok and are looking after yourselves.
    Love Gina xx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mum update’ is closed to new replies.